Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New Listings, Mainly for simon and standard bank..

rendan
Contributor
Hi Simon. I am a little concerned about Standard Bank online share trading and the information it provides to its customers. The training material/courses are great, prices are reasonable, and the website is very nice. However, I am dissapointed with standard bank as we do not receive any notification about IPO's. I was really cheezed off at the BWI IPO as I would have definitely been interested in applying for those shares. Right now it is sitting around 214c and its initial price was 100. Stock brokers let their clients know when a IPO is listed and since Std bank is our stock broker, is it not a good idea to release a newsletter every month telling us about all the IPO's? Std bank does not make money of IPO's i know, but it will be a real value add service for clients. Any1 else feel free to comment, especially if im completely off the mark and i am misinformed... Kind regards
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
rendan
Contributor
delete this post pls. My browser posted it twice..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ive got a memory like a sive but Im sure sbk did offer all its clients the bwi ipo... problem was it was sooooooooooo oversubscribed that they didnt get issued any. thats the problem with ipos these days is all the clients apply for say "R10000"worth but would only land up with R69 worth due to the oversubscription and I assume preferred brokers/investors would be rewarded 1st?? OMO
0 Kudos
rendan
Contributor
Thanks for the reply.. Really? How did SBK offer it? They send out an email regarding the IPO?? I didnt get 1 :(, or i didnt read it.... I havent received any info on IPO's from SBK via email.. Do we need to subscribe for the service somehow?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Normally listed under "special announcements" on the main page. I recall something else about BWI IPO being 50 times oversubscribed or something rediculous.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yipped, way way way over subscribed - we did offer it to our clients but we (as did the majority of broekrs) got zip, zero, nada. We promote it on the home page under announcem,ents.

A couple of important points; from when the news breaks untilt he deadline is generally just a matter of days. Most are way over subscribed, so you apply for R10 k and get R600 and costs of selling kill your profits. Sometimes they are private PO's, only clients of the business etc. can apply.
0 Kudos
rendan
Contributor
I see. Thanks Simon. Things are a little clearer now..But is it possible for Standardbank to publish all the companies that allow private investors to invest through the IPO? I know afrimat was one last year and i think celcom as well... but never heard abt it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well when they are past they are past. New ones will be anounced as and when.
0 Kudos
bob1_1
Contributor
The problem with sbk's ipo is that it would be nice in the side menu to check from time to time for future and past listings. Once additional annoucements are made the notice are gone. No trace of ever being on the main page. The other problem with BWI is sbk must address the non-issue to sbk clients with the jse. how can the directors just cancel sbk's applications.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't understand why past IPO's are of any interest? Every listed company has had an IPO?
0 Kudos