Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New members

PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Not a pilot (unfortunately) - name comes from flying RC Helis. Am involved in a retail business.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Hey boston, I see Nova's given you a good link. Most of the gap traders don't do the trades on Standard Bank cos they don't offer a good instrument to day trade the TOPI. I trade gaps sometimes on Standard Bank by trading SSFs on AGL. If the TOPI gaps AGL mirrors the gap almost exactly and vice versa.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
RC heli's... i have several rc planes... very interesting things, i just got my newest from USA a model Long-Ez - will start to look at building it this weekend... its a small one, but interesting design. Where you from, CPT, JHB, DBN, i am from Somerset West (close to CPT)
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
CPT - constantia - enjoy the build - I prefer ready to fly as I spend so much time rebuilding after all my accidents
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
geez brazen, we gave you snacks once - now you want it all the time. an anyways your bag busted my entire years budget ...
0 Kudos
boston
New Contributor
Thanks for the advice, Nova and Brazen. Where do most traders trade the gap then, if you can't do it on Standards site?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol. i agree, the model is an ARF, so its not that much of a build, i am working on a WWII model (German Focke-Wulfe FW-190A-5 1:5 scale) for about 5 years now, got a bit bored and took a break, now need to complete it still... Are you member of CRF? we fly at HRF normally, havent flown for some time though... Do you know Ross L********, he's also from Constantia, also has some rc aircraft and also a financial guy.
0 Kudos
Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
Guess im new too then, well, under a year on OST. Im involved in hedge funds and just finished studying finance postgrad. Suprisingly doing ok in this "game" but can always do better. Love the industry.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
hedge funds, interesting! yes, one can always do better, that would always be good, and its a cool industry as one can always learn new things, strategies, and better oneself...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I joined in July after getting out of debt. So far I'm up, even after having experimented with a number of trading styles and instruments (and often ignoring the very sage advice from the forum). The excitement of the stock market makes saving fun... I'm an engineer.
0 Kudos
moomoo
Contributor
Hi I'm a newbie too. Probably decided to start tradin at the perfect wrong time. It was just about before the whole crash-bang. So I had more losses then anything else. But it's cool, atleast now I have the challenge of trying to make back.
0 Kudos
Apis
Occasional Contributor
Hi Werner, test my abilities in this field since Mai/June. The nice thing is, one can not blame someone else for his own mistakes.. It's a battle against the giants.. Have put some money in the ground since starting this, but enjoy somehow to learn when times are really bad. It would be easy when everything is flying north and no bad news hit the air in 6hrs frequency. The reason to do this is to increase returns on investments. Have read and tried alot of strategies during the last few month (except shorting...) but found when I got time the whole day next to my computer (not in meetings etc.), intraday works best if one is a seller when the market (marketmakers..)needs a buyer. I got myself the McGregorBFA Market Focus and watch sometimes the day whats going on. Now I see the traders shorting down and I give them the food at the end on a plate. I have a good speed on my machines (I use them for 3D technical designs..) so I hit the buy button on OST and see on McGregor in 1/2 to one second my entry. I am excited I started and I'll file on my performance.. Regards Manfred
0 Kudos
ZerOgravity
Contributor
There is a saying that says that there are only 3 real ways to make serious money - 1) Inherit it 2) Steal it 3) Marry it . I am a not from a wealthy background and since it is unlikely that any of the 3 options are going to happen for me I have been saving some money from my salary for the last 8 years so that I could take a shot at the stock market. I started out by buying shares < R10 since my capital is small but that was a bad idea especially at these times. I am now trying to capitalise short gains and invest in quality. I read every newspaper and book I can find because it is my goal to turn my money into something decent in the next few years so that I can a buy a house and get married. I appreciate all the advice that I have received from members of the forum. Thanks.
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Don't him - its a big place and I'm really new to this game. Hope the current market turmoil doesn't scare me off - I'm nicely up, but things are changing so fast.....
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Don't him - its a big place and I'm really new to this game. Hope the current market turmoil doesn't scare me off - I'm nicely up, but things are changing so fast.....
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
getting married might be the next financial mistake u might make! :)
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
hey there, im 19 male from jhb, i build architectural models and im starting vasity next year (took a gap year), joined cos i hav a 10 year plan to get super rich lol so im usin the market as one of my tools...started off with long term stocks, now im lookin into warrants and loving the potential there, im so freaked out abt futures tho yoh...nice to meet u all
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
21 Finishing of 3rd year, joined OST abt 2 months ago. figured stocks is the best source of passive income, got in at a difficult time to learn but a great time to big up shares at good prices so my inexperience should be compensated by the good prices. The forumn is possibly one of the greatest learning tools on the site, allows me to be exposed to varies terms ans concepts i would otherwise not be exposed to. People are friendly and helpfull, thx guys.
0 Kudos
craigd
Visitor
low prices is what made me start again
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I,m new too. Think that there are a lot of bargains around. At the moment I still see myself as an invester rather than a trader but once I am more comfortable I think I will try trading. I must say that the forum is very interesting and informative. If you wondering about the name that is my words every time I open my portfolio.
0 Kudos