Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New members

ws
Frequent Contributor
I am also still new to this,been trying for a few months. Would like to learn more on TA, mainly trading on fundamentals now. Would like to find a strategy to earn about a 10%/month return on my R100k capital a month to supplement income. Ultimately if this works, cash in unit trusts and look after my own investments. Find the forum very informative and helpful. Do you think my targets are realistic?
0 Kudos
Newtherapist
New Contributor
Hi, been here about a month now, piled in on the belief that this really is a great bargain time. Traded quite actively until about 3 years back, when sold out and ploughed it all into property on my paranoia bout the market crashing. My timing was way too early to get out and appears it may be a bit early getting back in. Was a financial journalist, now a shrink, so hoping the journalism background and the shrink foreground coalesce to give me a special angle on the markets - my own personal delusions of grandeur. Nice to have an active forum like this, so thanks to the regulars for keeping the pace up.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now that's something that I've never seen before - a financial journalist with a market crash paranoia. Normally they just talk the market up... A shrink with any kind of paranoia is also a funny concept... Welcome, you should fit in here just fine!
0 Kudos
Old_Eagle
Occasional Contributor
Hi foromites. Im an engineer of 52, left an engineering company end of last year to start my own research business (in thermodynamics and heat recovery. Payback for research work, however, take a few years, so I decided in July to start trading on the JSE to generate an income to sustain my company untill the research payback. Devoured all trading courses and joined the forum in August to learn from experienced traders. Not trading too bad, I think, as my portfolio is only about 30% down so far.... Currently Im only trading warrants.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Ws, if you plan on reinvesting the proceeds every month then; a 10% return a month = 213.84% a year. Invest R 100 000 compounded at 213.84% a year for 10 years = R 9 270 954 834. Another 10 years and you'll probably own the world. Realistic? However if your capital remains at R 100 000, then that's a different story.
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks LG, looking at it like that it seems a bit ridiculous. No,not compounded, so capital remains R100k. This is obviously gross,so still tax etc to pay. Basically, can one make on avg R10k/month with R100k capital?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I am a long term investor, so I'm afraid I can't answer that as I have no experience in short term trading. Yes, tax MUST be considered when working out the % return one requires to meet a certain financial goal. Their are some on this forum who believe that a 75% a month return is a bad month. I don't understand that... nor believe it. Perhaps they (you know who you are)can explain.
0 Kudos
Streetdog
Not applicable
I'm another new member, doing this from my dayjob desk. I opened the online trading account years ago but haven't used it till now. Attracted by possibly low values and volatility. Nicely ahead so far, but tomorrow could change all that. I wasn't expecting the cameraderie on this forum - love it! I hope to learn from you good folks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i am also new member. i think next week we can start see the up side of the market, with the meeting of ending the global res-sesion... this weeking... it should be a bullish...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm also new here. Is here for long term investing - 20 years. Maybe a little day trading later when I'm happy with my portfolio. I started with Satrix40 a year ago but uses the current low's in the market to buy good value shares.
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Hi. I'm an engineer - lost a little bit when young and brave in the 80's, took a good break and losing more now that I'm older.. Due to lack of capital, started by going long on few good-looking FFT's but now realise that the bears are currently in charge??!!. Simon why does my P&L acct. on FFT's reflect the latest offer and not the last trade price?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you mean SSF's? Because that's what the value is, last trade is not what you could exit at, but if long bid is what you would exit at - so fair value.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Hi Boston. Brazen has given you some golden advice on AGL. In fact, you can pretty much do this with any of the top 5 on the TOP40 as they make up a sizeable chunk of the All Share. But you need experience for that. Remember that strategies like gaps and swings are not systems but strategies. You use systems like chart patterns and candles and indicators like oscillators and moving averages to confirm a strategy entry and exit point. My advice is to paper trade gaps until you have a feel for how the strategy confirms using systems and indicators. Finally, you cannot trade indexes on OST. Have a look at dwt.co.za or IG Markets. Chartist can probably give you the best advice there. FWIW, since Chartist first began talking gaps, I have yet to trade one. On paper I'm generally right 40% of the time but I still do not have the right 'feel' for gaps, so I don't commit money until I'm certain that I can successfully trade them.
0 Kudos