Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New to Share Trading: Any tips on stocks for my portfolio?

Mo_Essay
New Contributor
HiGuys, I am new to share trading and trying to start my portfolio. Any tips on what shares i should start with?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
mo , there is a member called 'ramsie' on the site. he knows it all. authority on all share issues. when he says buy , u buy. he is the best.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Welcome Mo, my suggestion would be to start with the introduction to investing course that OST offers. In fact theres one in JHB, presuming you can get here on the 16th. Learn as much as you can upfront and remember, its your investment and ultimately your choice. Everyone will have a different opinion on different companies, but ultimately it boils down to your decisions based on risk appetite, investment horizon, and industry preference. Good luck!
0 Kudos
Vince888
Regular Contributor
That all depends on your investment/trading strategy
0 Kudos
Mo_Essay
New Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Welcome. My suggestion would be to look for good solid reputable companies with a good earnings history, low PE and good dividend yield. Am not sure you will find one right now, but start looking.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
orange68
Super Contributor
check out JUSTONELAP.COM by simon excellent videos there from basic to advanced.and attend the seminars they helpful
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
choose 5 shares and investment term at least 5 years, all in different sectors. Invest the equal rand value in each of the 5 shares. Include only one mining share. At the moment, Woolies(WHL) and Discovery(DSY). But , visit Simons justonelap, where you would see diffrent portfolios being set up. On this site , just beware the trolls, some even troll with their family
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
SASOL, SAB, Famous Brands, Vodacom and one other one you like for some risk.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
SAB BTI SOL NEP VOD APN AVI BVT NPK PIK BIL WHL AFE BAW HDC NPN PNC Those are all Solid!
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Where is CFR DSY GLN IPL OMN SHF MTN ?
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
Interesting answer but I think it is a little unfair to say who's advice one actually follow on this forum – it might lead to less postings from that person, just because he/she might be afraid that the post might be regarded as investment advice which might not be correct for your circumstances. The idea of the forum is to create possible investment opportunity ideas for own investigation and decision making.
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
Mo, welcome to dog eating dog world. The only tip that I have: You do not start a portfolio before you have decided if you are a trader or an investor. Or % wise how much money you want to use to infest or use for trading. You work out how much money you can afford to lose and get to a % for placing stop losses on trades. Keep an eye on the intraday trading velocity in price before deciding. Then you investigate the best shares to buy to get maximum return on capital, splitting your capital between 3 or 4 unrelated sectors across the JSE. To preserve capital and to get more exposure, for trading you use cfd's but make sure you know the risks and that your stop losses are placed correctly. Also note that stop loss triggers can fail. Once you decide to buy a specific share/cfd, you record your motivations and expectations. Then you invest. Keep checking your written motivation and re-evaluate constantly, sell or re-evaluate when you feel that the target price has been met and just sell when the amount of money that you are loosing is exceeding the original risk that you have decided on. Once the buy and sell are completed: re-evaluate, do a thorough investigation and decide what you can do better for the next investment/trade.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hi Simon. Can you give a bit more background to this ETF. My limited understanding of the ETF, in the re-rating to 2.5% for each share, surely means that the ETF will be selling the momentum shares to buy those that are lagging?
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Yes, now google evaluate info, get a site that provides real time charting, watch your favourite index for 3 months while testing random strategies and indicators. You are ready to start trading a small % of your portfolio.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, top40 equal weighted .. each quarter weighted back to 2.5% per each ..
0 Kudos