Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New to warrants!!!

Not applicable
Hi i've only just started looking into warrants and was hoping that someone could help me with this proble. Let's say that I own 1000 warrants to a company and I want to sell them before expiry.....can I do this at any time or is there only some points in time when the issuer buys them back?? And how accurate is the price matrix to that warrant going to be when i decide to sell them??
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Mr_S
Super Contributor
hmmm look for the new topic i started today, and decide if you can handle such losses before u proceed!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Got burnt down that ally, sometimes in warrents there are no buyers so you sit with a lot of usless nothings that turn to 1 and then vanish, I moved to SSFs and it is more reactive
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I trade warrants,but for a start try to attend a warrant course,also try the online course....Another method is to ,make a watchlist of say five warrants ,u would trade,include the tracker history feature,then it wont cost u anything,if u are wrong and u can refine your metods before going live....It's not a good idea to buy warrants under 20 cents,ALWAYS have a stoploss in plce....i prefer fixed stop-losses....don't buy Warranrs with less than sixty days to go to expiary as the time decay becomes too vicious!.I u have a share account try mid-caps as they are starting to move up quite well at the moment....REALLY ONLY MY OPINION.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
if you new to trading stay away from derivities. Buying small quantities of warrants also spells disaster. If you buy say 1000 warrants at 20c - thats R200, the fees are R75, so you warrant has to go up by 40% to break even. SSF - same story - be prepared to loose more than you put in due to gearing. If you want to try out the market - use money that you dont need and will not be sorry if you lost it. I guess one should start on about R10K and be prepared to loose all. Go to a course -read up - do the online course as well
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Damn right a SSF at R100 share loses 1% =1 geared X5 X10contracts X100shares is a 5k loss with current market a fluctuation of 4 or 5% and man are you in the drink. Learn charting but remember they only forecast yesterdays news, watch the first 1 hour and the last 2 hours. many shares spike late afternoon (or drop just before closing) read the intraday. learn what you are buying. listern and learn, run test modules. concentrate on 5 or so shares and stay with them. Learn what makes them tick. Read the bols they are quite accurate and remember the art is not how fast you make money, its how little you lose doing it. And lastly you CAN loose it faster than you made it. Be analytical and cautious
0 Kudos