Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

NewFunds Equity Momentum ETF

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Made up of approx 25 Top Performing (Price Momentum) shares.Growth approx 23% in last 6 months.What are the dangers, ads and disads. Some thoughts please.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Russ
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On the face of it, it is a great product, one that I am going to look at more closely, as it subscribes to my investment philosophy of buy and stick with the winners. Positives are that they are cycling out of losing positions, and holding winners, so in theory they should not be underperforming the market, and in practise, they should be outperforming it. Now for the negatives - or at least red flags. No 1: NB, NB, NB - it has to have a market maker (I can't see if they do or don't). This is imperative, since it is a very illiquid ETF. If you want to exit your position on this, and it is sizeable (say R100k or more), you are going to be stuffed if there isn't a market maker (they seem to be covering 50 units on the buy and sell?) 2: they are re-investing the dividends, so you will not be able to rely on dividend payout. In theory though, momentum stocks are lousy dividend contributors, so this should not be an issue. 3: Disclosure - ABSA are a bit cagey on the details, from what I can see. Hard to tell how this fund is constructed, and what their full portfolio is - also, they are cycling in and out of positions, from what I can guess, so how does the tax work on this?
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for comprehensive and thought provoking answer. Had a chat with Absa Capital yest. and was given reassurance on market maker issue. Was also able to get the Dec 12 Fact Sheet.Top 10 holdings: WHL,MDC,MPC,APN,MTN,CLS,SHP,MMI,AVI,NPN. Make up 74% of holdings. Then there are another 9 companies.Total 19 in all. Rebalanced every quarter.
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for that info.. This sound interesting!! Currently I have Coronation Top 20, but I like this too.
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for that info.. This sound interesting!! Currently I have Coronation Top 20, but I like this too.
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos