Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

No Shorting of Banks allowed? (SimonPB)

Not applicable
I notice that OST doesn't allow shorting of any of the bank shares, why?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
That's on SSF's, I haven't checked the warrants yet. They haven't closed any current short positions, just new short trades aren't allowed. Guess I'll just have to keep my shorts I have and not close them out? Lucky I'm in, as this Bank H&S seems very likely to break.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On the few I just checked it seems there aren't any offers to sell on any SBK issued warrants either?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No replies? Does this not strike anyone as even remotely troublesome or odd?
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
Odd is putting it mildly. It is outrageous. As soon as my trigger fires to let me know it's time to short SBK, it's no longer possible for me to do so.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes i posted last week to simon that there are no puts on sbk no reponse , usually his condascending remarks but nothing ,they dont want anyone to make any moola, guess now you know if sbk is here to help u make money
0 Kudos
PaulR_1
Occasional Contributor
Thought it was an omen so bought instead. Hurting a bit
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've been short a few days now but I also trade a system and it is really irritating when you can't add to your positions because they change the rules halfway through the game...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its possibly along the same lines as the US government limited short selling a while back (dont know if that is still imposed) to stabilise the markets, its actually sometimes not in the best interest to run the banks down the drain!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we can't open new shoarts as we can't borrow stock.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
That and the fact they are trying to shore up the price so that the dirrectors can get their opptions bonus!!!
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Even Asa which showed some resilience is dropping like a brick. Wena. Should this HS break do you have any specific exit levels in mind.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hi Simon, can you explain this concept to us laymen?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
when you go short you are selling something you don't own to buy back at a lower price (your profit if you get it right). But the exchange rules say that you can not short naked, so one needs to borrow the stock to sell. So we need to borrow stock in order to enable clients to be able to short stocks. Make sense?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Totally..you cant have shorts and be Nakid at the same time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks - badly phrased question though, sorry. What I wanted to know is why you can't borrow. Do you rely purely on long futures positions for borrowing?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
we can't open new shoarts as we can't borrow stock. How convenient!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What worries me is that the stock is dropping even without you guys going short. What would it do, if you could? Or is this not logical thinking??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am of the opinion that a free market security will always trade where the market thinks it should and that shorting is just part of the free market system. Remember that when you go short, the actual shares are sold into the market and as we know there is a buyer for every seller. Also, nothing stops people from going long a deriviative, will this push the price artificially up? I don't think so. A share will trade where it trades until it doesn't, market psychology changes the price...
0 Kudos