Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

No matter what i do......

duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
Just not having any luck with shares of any sort this year. anybody else here having a bad time trying to keep their portfolios' head above water so to speak?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
prof
Regular Contributor
having a great time,im making money. i sold my portfolio and am earning interest in the bank
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
prof
Regular Contributor
i am just waiting for for a good buying opportunity ,to get in again
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I don't know what you are trading but if it allows shorting don't ignore the opportunities to going short. Our mental framework always wants shares to go up but the downward movements also create opportunities.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Duke...I am in the same boat...Since January my 7 share portfolio is now only 6% up and that is on the back of the IMP and SOL runs which are in the basket... I paid school fees on doubling up (averaging down) when INP was on R58...I will never do this again... My intention when I started the portfolio (end 2007)was for the long term (+3 years)... I am seriously considering of converting the whole portfolio into cash now and waiting for an opportunity to re-enter...My other shares are Reunert, Remgrow, Barloworld, SAB, Telkoms...Any advise from the forum would be most welcome.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Think seriously about what you have done & what the motivation was. I mean seriously. Find a space where you can let go of it all and look at what underlies the action.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Stores if the reasons you bought the shares in the first place still apply, then it may be a good idea to sit tight and ride it out. Timing the market is extremely difficult.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
yep my timing sucked bigtime this year. bought too high (thought it was low in relation to the current performance) speculatively. saw shares deteriorate, panicked, sold and shortly after saw shares climb considerably. repeat again and again! now i'm a lot more conservative and waiting for the market to settle down b4 making a move again
0 Kudos