Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

No mining nationalisation plans: Zim

7 REPLIES 7
barry_1
Super Contributor
According to STD business news,they intend enacting legislation that locals must own 51% of all mines industries,of which 25% must be given free to the government.LocaALS THERE ARE SO POOR WHERE WILL THEY GET THE LOOT TO PAY EVEN FOR 25%?All they will achieve is chasing investors away.By the way i lived ther for an odd twenty years and have many family members still there.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey B - Good life still to be had if you can pay for it. Sooner or later, it has to turn, I reckon. Also, I don't see Zanu grabbing the mines just yet. Zanu needs the miners to generate their own capital to fund operations. The miners have threatened to walk if the government does the indiginisation thing, leaving Bob owning holes in the ground and no way of turning them into cash.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
...he could offer them to the Chinese then dude? More national asset swaps for fighter planes & limo's....to strengthen democracy of course!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
U are perfectly correct there,i received from a source that the threat of getting the Chinese in to seize the mines also backfired.China promptly told them that they receive an increasing stream of western funds which are helping upgrade China and if they were to take part in such a misadventure they would loose more than gain!They also advised him to settle with his enemies!Don't know how well that news went down though!
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Yep, the Chinese Premier purposely missed out Bob on his African Safari....but did send him a get well card advising just what you said...China has enough human rights problems of their own & what with "crimes against humanity" looming for Bob they don't want to be messing to much in Zim.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yuss Y - Chinese takeaway's aplenty, but Beijing is not bringing in the cash, no matter what Bob sez. They want a return, and they saw what happened to the Libyans who thought they were gettin assets for oil (member them??..and how they got the shaft. Zim still owes them millions of merican pessos for oil the colonel sent them a few years back, hoping to get farms and mines in exchange). Anyhow, reckon a few jugs o Jose needed to get the dudes talkin again. ..and yeah, Barry, that's what I heard also. Chinese'l buy cheap assets if they come on the market, but they won't be party to a grab - too much fallout from the West with too little return.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
All true bru' ...... but I ain't taking no jug of anything to Tripoli, not with them B52's circlin' 24/7/365 overhead...they wanna talk, they can use skype or if they want a secure line bush telegraph.
0 Kudos