Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

No subject here coz I got confused about what I wanted to ask...

Samir
Super Contributor
I know many don't trade shares which don't have decent enough volumes. (Simon, your name comes to mind). I want to know how would you define a share that is liquid. Do you look at number of shares traded? Or Value traded? Or number of deals for the day/week/year? A share like CMH is solid but not frequently traded(prob due to its tight shareholders). A share like DRD is (basically crap??) but much more frequently traded than CMH. Are forumites guilty of trading certain shares because they are well known or coz they are the flavour of the week or maybe coz they just sound sexy?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Copper
Regular Contributor
Look Sam...no one here really knows what theyre doing. They're all educated/informed gamblers. This is not an exact science and anyone who pretends to know what theyre doing is about as deranged as Bobby Mugabe. The best way to make money is to buy yourslef a good set of tarot cards and read your horoscopes carefully. Other traders will insist that i am insane, but who here could have predicted that kortbroek(marty van Skalkwyk) would have been envvironmental minister like i did?? This may seem like ramblings of an alcoholic, but i dont drink anymore....or any less! By the way, watch DGC rock and roll..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ahh, the voice of reason speaks from the madding crowd . . .
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I want at least an average of R10m value every day, R100m makes me much happier.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL Copper! Great post, more like that please.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Samir, the question you must ask is if you will be able to get in and out at the price you want. If you get a buy signal, but have to wait two days before your order gets filled (and the same when you want to sell) due to low volumes, then you are not going to be happy. Shares like that should be avoided.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Simon, are you saying that u wont trade a share like GND?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah GND good enough, the 20 day average is around R18m/day with some day below 10million. But entry/exit has never been a problem here.
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
I want some buyers when I want to sell, but is not scared to trade shares with low volumes as long as the average volume traded per day is at least 6 times as much as the amount of shares that I want to hold.
0 Kudos