Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Northam take over by Impala

Lucy_1
New Contributor
The department of minerals and energy (DME) has given its stamp of approval to the proposed acquisition of MVELA RESOURCES (MVELA) and NORTHAM PLATINUM (NORTHAM) by IMPALA PLATINUM (IMPLATS). Does this mean I will lose all the shares I have in Northam if I do not sell it now?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Shard
Super Contributor
No you wont, in a normal market a take over of a company you hold shares in is generally a good thing, as another company sees greater value in it than its current share price be it strategic or intrinsic. You could get anything from a premium on your shares to equivalent value of shares in teh company taking over. All depends on how the takeover is structured really.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
To give an example from yesterday, Porsche offered to buyout VW at 100% more than current share price. 100% return in one day is nice to say teh least. Another one was Xstrata on Lonmin, offered 50% more than current share price.
0 Kudos
Lucy_1
New Contributor
Thank you for the response. Does this mean I should keep an eye out on the SENS announcements or will they let shareholders know what they offer per share? Sorry I am new at this...
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
and today VW is up another 62%
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
and that surely must have squeezed the nuts out of the shorts.
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Well even when the market was bullish the takeover of SUHL by Simeka was not profitable for me as a shareholder - I was allocated 1 share of Simeka for every 2.1 shares of SUHL held and have lost over 40% of my money just after the allocation - losses are now much higher even though my trading account reflects Simeka as breaking even no matter what the share price is - I wonder how this transaction will be reflected in my income tax report...
0 Kudos