Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Novice needs help

juggie
Contributor
Some folks have said they are new but have been around 6mnths + that makes me a spring chicken.Pls advise whats the ideal rand amt to start with bcause some guys are talking about having a portfolio of R100k,will share trading actually get you there(only longer term)or are warrants or SSF best.Have attended Simons courses and will continue.Doing a lot of reading(news letters/Buffet/this chat room etc)but still need advise.Tks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Not applicable
to buy shares min R10k per share otherwise brokrage kills you. but ive found installment to be the way to go and no matter how much you buy you only pay R50 in a warrants account.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
And if you do not trade at least 3x per month a minimum fee around R54 kicks in and nibble at your profit(s) or helps to deteriorate the R10K
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Like the Tribesman says, go with instalments first (but avoid turbos or hot eds - they have barriers). Use them until you've mastered trading and have developed a system. This can take an awful long time, but at least you will keep your cash intact. SSF's and warrants will kill you if you make even small errors.
0 Kudos
Stij
Contributor
Tell me about it... ouch! The short-term nature and hence the neccesity of timing the market with warrants is killing me. So, if I start trading installments, there's no time decay, right? Is there any reason why installments can't be held as long as shares in the underlying (through roll overs, etc.)?
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
What is an EDS and do all of them have barriers?
0 Kudos
attackcat
Contributor
What I want to know is.. what are the downside to intalments? Been trading only in ACTUAL shares to date (warrants and SSFs a little too scary for me at the moment). Up 50% over the year, not exactly the 10k-100k that Chartist is doing, but better than keeping it in the bank. Now thinking of looking at the gearing possibilities of Instalments BUT there is always a down side...
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
For what its worth in the region of r17000 per share is the most efficient when it comes to brokerage fees average 2% cost total brokerage (buying and selling). I do not have much time to trade so target 3% net per mth and trade 3 to 5 shares at a time gives you 36% return per year which is not too bad worked well so far.
0 Kudos
juggie
Contributor
So what I hear is +-R10k per share,5 shares is best,thus R50k is a good level,right/wrong??Also will be attending instalment course next week.My port is only R17k & includes INL,MPC,SATRIX40 and RLF,any thoughts on these.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
OMO = it is most cost effective to invest direct with the satrix-similars if you are not speculative about your participation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Drawbacks are that there can be confusion as to what instalment you are buying. Some products - like the hoteds and turbo's have barriers (you lose most of your cash if it hits it). They have better gearing than ordinary instalments, but the inherant risk. To a beginner, there's a risk you end up buying a barriered instalment without knowing it. ALWAYS phone the issuer to check, until you understand the different instruments. Another disadvantage is that the rollovers and dividend payments are in the hands of the issuer, like Standard and Investec. Sometimes they botch this and its up to you to catch the mistake. Trader Vic wrote a piece about this a few weeks back. But. They offer exposure to shares, and the full dividend, for half the money. They are low geared, so your risk is far, far less than with warrants and ssfs. They are a good trading instrument and also a good way to learn market techniques. Barry, a regular poster on this forum, is the master instalment trader. Read his previous and current posts. He's the most experienced trader on the site.
0 Kudos