Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Now

Brazen
Super Contributor
this is starting to look good. Tango, two weeks ago was just two weeks too soon. It's right back to 2150.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
yeah, I took the plunge on 8 June @ 2035, made my brokrage back +4.5% so far... Love the company and Im going to let it ride for the long term. Going to be interesting to see how well all the woolies food marts do in all the petrol stations. Good move I think?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And lets not forget old faithful SAB. I think Ive been the only chop in and out of SABSBH (and not doing too badly)sold again yesturday and hoping like hell we get another little pullback so I can jump back in... only a matter of time before she flies.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Ahoy Tribal....WW Food marts will be good at introducing potentially new young & other LSM customers over 'n above the loyal customer base....2 BUTS....1) Is there not a risk in devalueing the brand ala Merc/Chrysler problems with quality etc...from pristine food counters to diesel fumes & semi-industrial scenario....somebody gonna have to pull finger! 2) Could have an affect on the feet & eyeball traffic in the conventional outlets...you always have to go past the shoes 'n sheets, knickers 'n knockers & of course the cell phone counters to buy a litre of the Southern Capes finest Ayreshire milk!....end of the day they chasing the last cent out there like everybody else....big + if they can maintain quality at the forecourts but big problems if a perception of slipping standards starts to build. As far SAB goes....may the thirst be with you. Adios
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey dudes; Garagistes way to go, I reckon. The problem big retail has, is that landlords like OM are no-longer giving them sweet deals for their 'anchor tenant' status. (this has been part of P&P's troubles of late - cannot grow market share because they are running outa places to go.) This means they are having to pay more for rents in big centers, eating into margins. There's also more'n enuf malls too, so growth in the bulk shopping market uncertain. This leaves convenience shopping a relatively new and undeveloped market in SA. I think Woolies and the rest figger that it's better to join a growing retail sector rather than try and canabalise each other in the shopping mall arena. Still, brand maintainence is a hard one to keep goin. All comes down to warehousing and logistics. I understand Woolies is goin slow with its rollouts, so as not to foul things up. A last point: Woolies began selling furniture and, ulp, lime-coloured suits awhile back. Was part of their desperate attempt to grow market share in the conventional retail mall environment by expanding their products. They got burned. So now they seem back to core products, and seem to be spending their energy on logistics and growing market share by getting closer to customers through convenience stores, instead of stocking narly pimp suits and stuffed chintz couches.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Spot on Gravy Dude, and with the completion of there new warehouse (biggest building this side of the equator) they look up to the challenge... http://www.commercial-property.co.za/620_news_Mega-warehouse-for-Woolworths.html
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks T - innerestin read. Now I'm jes hopin my stop holds - looks like woolies has pulled on over me eyes today..
0 Kudos
DG1
Contributor
bought WHL about a year and half ago. i have not looked back since, bought for 11.80 and the rest is history. with hind sight i should maybe have bought more!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looks like the mall queen hittin her stride again. Volume pickin up too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Okay - so - stops triggered on WHL. There's a bummer, dudes. Becaws we uses end of day, it means, Tuesday, we find an exit, regardless of whether it goes up or down. If we lucky, it'll rebound, which means we can sell into strength.
0 Kudos