Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

OIL

Not applicable
The oil pipeline in georgia which supplies 1% of world oil was attacked by russia. It has been out of action for more than a week now but the oil price has not moved. Is there a glut of oil? Is supply outstripping demand?. What will be the effect on SOL shares
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
shares
Contributor
I think you have been misinformed. I've seen reports of fighting near pipelines, pipelines already shutdown for repairs, etc but no pipelines being damaged by Russia. Care to link to a credible and current article? The world is currently worried about the extent of the global slowdown in economic growth and hence demand for resources. Commodity prices have run up to very high levels over the last few years so they have a long way to fall if supply exceeds demand (and the speculators start taking short instead of long positions). At some point in the future it'll turn around and prices will increase again. Predicting when a such a turning point will come is pretty much impossible...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Oil price might spike later this week,perhaps an opportunity to go long on SOL as it is expected that this sixth tropical storm,named Fay, which has already killed six people in the Carribeanb will turn into a hurricane soon.So far no damage in the gulf this season,but Royal Dutch Shell is evacuating for the first time this season workers from their platforms in thw gulf.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
report in weekend paper saying global oil consumption is down !
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think simon is right in that global oil consumption is down. I expect oil to fall even further. I have spoken to many people who now use public transport to save on fuel costs. China is also not growing as fast as in the past. (do not take me up on my predictions as they are wrong most times!)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rising fuel prices are putting a pinch on the world's oldest profession. Nevada brothels that cater to long-haul truckers are offering gas cards and other promotions after seeing business decline as much as 25 percent from a year ago, industry officials said. Heres your answer!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i agree that oil is in a falling trend,but i did say 'spike' later this week.SOL of course is not just oil and is coming up to its final in Sept as well.Already the price of oilhas climbed by over two Dollars in the US today. Overall over the longer period the fall is likely to continue.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There arent 10 million bicycles in Beijing any more... Any drop in oil price will be temporary - very temporary.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
the pipeline in Georgia is a USA innitiative to 'bypass' russkie control... and Vlad Putin put paid to that. Nabucco is cancelled. Vlad said ***** u, I can reach all your supply routes and the message was noted loud and clear
0 Kudos