Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

OK

Brazen
Super Contributor
Been watching this for weeks and seems to be finding support at around 70. Wonder if it's bottomed. If it breaks 70 there's strong support at 60. Maybe worth gathering a few instalments with an eye to cashing out towards the end of the years. Some Xmas money??
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
topgun
Super Contributor
JDG might well bounce in the next few weeks from an oversold position. From a fundamental perspective, I would be very cautious given rising interest rates, the new NCA and generally adverse fundametals. Credit retailers are great buys at the top of the interest rate cycle. At the moment with still rising inflationary expectations, the cycle top could be some time away. Consumers are also overborrowed. There are easier ways to make money at much lower risk such as the microlenders and the ICT sector. Resources are also still good. OMO
0 Kudos
CAB
Contributor
Apparently their sales are still taking huge strain after the carte blanche expose. Fundamentals not looking great.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Thanks guys. I reckon most of what you say is in the price already. And agree re resources, am already well exposed to them. Now looking for something to pay off in 3 - 6 months time.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Brazen I think the banks have less risk as they dont have to sell to make money.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Brazen given your 3-6 month timeframe, have a look at PNC, CAE and MYD. All three are due to report either interim or final results over the next 2 months and are undervalued. Profit cautionaries are due out sooner of course which should result in some price action.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Tx much topgun. Will check out those 3 now.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
If it closes below 70 it's probably going to 60.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
PNC is really doing well.....
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I thought the sea air had corroded your wiring - wanting to buy OK Bazaars?????
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
When last did you see an OK come to think of it. So when can I buy JDG, it MUST be cheap now?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Cheap compared to last year or next year? The interest rate hikes (or something) have clubbed car sales (and all durables), while semi-d has peaked , and non-durables are turning up. While some might feel JD's quality standards place them in the semi-durable category, the simple truth is that consumers can make furniture last longer. At this point if I wanted a retail share I'd look for one selling perishables/consumables.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Thanks. Makes good sense and explains the jump in things like PIK and WHL today. Maybe I'll check out an old favourite - TBS.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Doesn't explain the jump - us Jburgers are more subtle in the market than you Ktypes.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
We are excitable. It's the whole tidal thing. Or the forest thing. Or something.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And PIK up over 7% and WHL nearly 5? Somethings afoot. A buyout?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And how come everyone knows, but not me? Bloody insider trading.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
PIK only up cause of last trade, hmmm equity buyout 3800 i reckon jump in first thing in the morn could make a few % before afternoon?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mornin STD - not sure durable consumer goods will take too much pain, specially with our civil service gettin it's nice, new boosted pay packet. That cash has to go somewhere and some will end up in HiFi Corp. The argument about expanding middle class also applies - black diamonds and such, all with cash to spend. I'm lookin to begin gathering jdg at these levels, specially if it begins to move towards 60.
0 Kudos