Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

OST charting any good?

Not applicable
I subscribe to Collin Abraham's news letter. Very informative. Not sure what charting he uses, but here's the question. On his chart, a support line on candle chart touching lows in Sep 06 and Mar 07 gives a value of 28 700 for ALSI today. On this site same chart gives a value of +- 28 138. Big difference. Anybody willing to test on their charting software? Can I rely on SBK's charts? Not trading intraday, but a few degrees or millimeters on a chart makes a big diffirence.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Tango
Super Contributor
Are you looking at the TOP40 (cash) chart or the ALSI (futures) chart? There will be up to 300pts or so difference. Also, I find it best to switch my chart to 'line' mode rather than candles when drawing support and resistance lines so that you connect the real EOD values.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cash. The chart labelled here as ALSH. Was looking for support for today's sell off. Broke on Abraham's, on OST still few hundred points away. If shadow of candle in say Mar 03 is to long few mm to long, chart unreliable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thats Mar 07. Noted two points might lead to more inaccuracy.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Try drawing your lines with a simple line chart, then switch back to candles. If you try draw lines on your candles you will sometimes be connecting opening prices to closing prices. Switch to line chart, then connect your end of day prices only. For shorter periods of time you can connect the candles, but if you are looking at more than a year out I would definately use line chart only.
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
Anyone know when SB update their graphs. Moves of today still not showing!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you Tango, what I like to know is, are these charts accurate, to scale?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Buy a dasic charting programme. Try Ammibroker or market-web Call Dave 0837385400
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Scale could be log, could be stretched. You never know. Never trust a TA comment that talks about how 'steep' the slope of a line is because it all has to do with scale. I haven't seen the charts you are referring to so I'm really just waffling here. Colin Abrams is a good TA and I think he knows what he's talking about.
0 Kudos
Henna
Occasional Contributor
He uses MetaStock EOD
0 Kudos