Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

OST on Safari

Not applicable
Hi guys, are any of you having problems getting into OST with Safari 4.0? Mozilla and IE are fine, but I get weird errors when trying to log-in with Safari.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable
Ost doesn't currently support safari. Only IE and Mozilla.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Moola. It sucks though. I'll try and get in touch with their techies to get an estimate on when they would be able to support Safari.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
There was some story about it not supporting their security mechanism. I think it would be easier to use another browser for trading, to be honest. Pity, because no iPhone users will be able to login either.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just try using IE, OST techies think that the Safari people are not that important. Simon even defended why they not supporting Safari, no wonder these forums have become boring people are moving with the times i.e. other websites that support all web browsers
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree. I just would have thought that the most advanced browser on earth was supported by OST. Wishful thinking I suppose.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what makes one browser better than the next...
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
It'll depend on the user. I've used most (including Opera), have IE, FF and Chrome installed on my machine, and Firefox is the one I use the most with Chrome second. Tried Safari but didn't like it. So: up to personal tastes.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
don't they all just open websites..what on earth can be diffrent about that?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's all about preference. I find Safari to be more stable and display websites better (it just feels slicker to me). The time it takes to load websites also differs from browser to browser, not to mention security. Do yourself a favour and try Mozilla, Chrome and Safari. You might like one of them more than IE.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
sure, my question was one of leaning...I simply do not know>
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Firefox lets you add plugins, so e.g. I have an ad-blocker and don't see most adverts on the internet - they're just not there. I can structure shortcuts in a way that I like, which IE doesn't do as nicely for my purpose.

Chrome is nice. I use it for some overlapping accounts, e.g. Google manages my company mail but I also have a normal Gmail account, so using two browsers keeps them separate. But Chrome doesn't do adblocking, so it drives me nuts to have a flickering disco when I'm online. IE takes too long to start up and the latest IE menu etc layouts irritate me. Also, adblocking isn't as easy (could be a way, but FF was easier to set up).
0 Kudos
Tenor
Contributor
I would like to see OST make a bigger effort to incorporate the use of iPhone. Sometimes you have to leave your PC. not cool if you cant trade everywhere , especially trading futures. OMO
0 Kudos
Tenor
Contributor
Apple reporting WEEKEND sales of 1 000 000 iPhones . 3Gs
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
thing which irritates me about chrome is there's no google toolbar.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think you can buy AAPL in ZAR via PSG...
0 Kudos