Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

OST on Smartphones

WernerH
Contributor
Hi all... Not sure how to search the forums, so thought that i would jsut ask the question. I am looking to upgrade my cellphone and would like to be able to use the OST site to trade as and when required. I saw a post further down regarding using OST on a Blackberry, and an earlier one saying that you need to use Opera Mini. Will OST work on any smartphone on any browser? What is the experience like (i.e. is there a special site optimised for cellphones or is it the normal website)? Is anyone using a Nokia E72 (or E71) to trade? Are there any things that i need to be concerned about (like privacy on the cellular networks)? Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated. Werner
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
HHuysamen
Occasional Contributor
I am using my BlackBerry to access OST. It does not work when you use the normal browser, but is fine when you use Opera Mini (free download). I have also seen in operating fine on a Samsung (Star?). There is no mobi site for it, it is exactly the same as this site, just on a smaller screen. Not ideal for long term analysis and graphs, but great if you need to open/close a position on the go.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Thanks, just got my b/berry yesterday. I get the opening page of OST but doesn't allow me to login. Guess I'll be downloading and installing opera mini.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Opera Mini works perfectly on my BB Bold 9000. I still think an small app would be awesome - maybe oneday there comes one... I just thought, it would be so cool to use the iPad to invest, research and follow ones investment. haha. sorry for always saying the same thing, i am a bit obsessed with the iPad and mobile apps.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Ok. Just installed opera mini. Site works fine except the menu on the left is a bit wonky.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Does anyone know how to change the BB default browser to opera mini? I got the Bold 9700.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I didnt try that yet - just check if you use Opera Mini does the browsing still use the BIS or do you get put onto the standard data (WAP 2.0) system that is charged per MB - might be interesting to find that out - i know that if one develops apps for BB the app has to be approved by RIM to work on the BIS, so before you switch to Opera Mini as default find out if it also uses the unlimited BIS subscription as opposed to per MB charge rates.
0 Kudos
WernerH
Contributor
With the ever increasing popularity of Smartphones (and internet access on cellphones in general) i am surprised that OST do not have a mobile site. I am sure that it will be difficult to get all of the information that you require on a mobile site, but all that one needs is the basic trading options in an easy to use interface. So that is a little dissapointing, but that for all of your help. The answer might be to get a netbook (or iPad) to do any kind of real trading on the go. Can't wait for the IPad to officialy launch in SA, but think that one must wait for the 3G version to arrive. Thanks for all of your comments. Werner
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I am also very keen on the 3G version on some kind of contract. that would be really cool - i dont know how they intend to launch the models here but both are now available in the US, so i would like them to launch both here, but i guess it will first be Wifi then 3G - my patience is running out - i really want one - since they announced it - haha...
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Been wondering about this myself. The opera site seems to provide extensive support for BB hence I wouldn't be surprised if everything is ok with BB. Anyway, do you know how to check?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I had the same thoughts, the opera site told me which model i have, etc. very good support - i dont actually know, but maybe one can email opera to find out, i will see if i can find anything when i have a bit time.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
HateGauteng: i hope this helps, i think it means that it uses BIS for the newer models - see the comments to this article - most interesting is "Opera Mini versions prior to version 4.1.11355 could only use APN data. All current versions can use either BIS/BES or the APN. This is handled automatically by Opera Mini, there is nothing to configure. " - article : http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=4498 - i dont know if we can trust this, but i think its quite certain it uses BIS to connect - its so advanced i think it will - opera will not make that mistake to ignore that functionality - i am sure.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner. I installed opera mini V5 this morning so hopefully it's got the support.
0 Kudos
WernerH
Contributor
One problem that we will have with the 3g version is that they require micro sim cards and currenlty our cellphone providers only have Mini Cards. So that is a bit of a problem. here is the solution though for those that are a little hands on... http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/04/convert-mini-sim-in-to-micro-sim-for-ipad-3g-yourself I also think that version 2 will probably be worth the wait. Was reading about how they have left space on the device for USB, etc. Might be a bit of a gimmic at first...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Interesting, i read the comments about the small SIM a few minutes ago. That will be a bit of a problem. I am trying to see if i will be able to use Bluetooth on the Wifi iPad to connect to my BlackBerry - if i could do this i would even get the wifi only one and use the phone connection for internet access. But the USB would be quite cool, I am just wondering if one were to use the camera connector that one can get for the device (you get one where you can plug USB camera in) i wonder if its just software to get the USB memory working?
0 Kudos
WernerH
Contributor
I also know that HP are looking at bringing out a similar device with windows 7 OS... And i must say that i love the idea of the IPad but am not mad about Mac. Ipad also does not allow for multi-tasking, software might be limited. http://www.pcworld.com/article/191397/ipad_alternatives_considering_the_competition.html I will not be purchasing the IPad yet, wait for it to come out and the competition to arrive and then wheigh up your options. Still has a long way to go, but it is definitely very cool.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, i saw the HP product on a youtube video - its quite cool - but iPad and iPhone will support multi-tasking with the new release of the iPhone OS, i think its already out or just about to come out. I have a macbook - its the best computer i ever had, really awesome - one can see that Apple is building the technology they developed with the iPhone into these notebooks as well, mine has a 4 finger multi-touch trackpad - really enhances the use of the device!
0 Kudos