Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Oil price. Gold price.

Not applicable
Less than 10 yrs ago gold was at around $200/oz and oil was at $23 per barrel - the ratio being more or less 10 barrels of oil per ounce of gold.
Now gold is at $950 and oil is at $110. Still more or less 10 barrels per ounce. So what's changed?
Maybe it's the DOLLAR! Maybe the actual VALUE of these commodities is not increasing so rapidly but the value of the DOLLAR is decreasing disproportionately. Case in point - measure the USD value of gold over 10 years and then measure the GBP or Euro price of gold over the same period. Beeeg difference. The USD value increases by more than 10-fold, but the Euro/GBP only by about 2 or 3. Mainly because of a weak dollar.
But it's common knowledge that the dollar is weakening. The point is? ermm I think the point is that we should maybe look at commodities priced in Real Currencies before we make investment descisions? Oh yes, and short the dollar.
looks like the US dollar will be on par with the frkkn Zim dollar one of these days . . .
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Wizard
Super Contributor
The GOLD:OIL average over looong period of time is actually 15. Gold will catch up eventually! The difference between ZIM and USA is that USA eventually will recover!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Once gold moves over $1000,it will continue rising because US dollar might take time to recover.
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Hi Avs. Did you get my e-mail wrt currency futures?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ermm nope. When did you send it?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wonder how the US market will react to a $110 oil later today.
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos