Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Old Mutual

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
I see in Consensus Forecasts that Dividends are projected for Dec 09 and Dec 10. How reliable is this. Can one assume fairly safely that this will be the case and that they will indeed again pay dividends?? How do the analysts know this? Where do they get the figures to project 3 yrs ahead?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is their view ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Simon in your opinion, gievn your experience how reliable is THE CONSENSUS VIEW? I currently dont place much value on the consensus view, but use it as a very general guide.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is a view .. depending on all sorts it has value .. but as with anything it cannot be used on its own .. when investing you are building a case to invest (or not) in a stock .. the consensus view is merely a part of that case ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
True - thats how I use it. Although I am always trying to find a way to confidently predict (in large inverted commas) the future. Most times I just battle.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
stop trying .. simple you can't ..
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i like OML alwys said at the present price and both Naomi and i have an installment in it.In the long run i don't like assurance companies.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
They will pay dividends but that would be the last reason to own this share. WHAT are you really buying - an asset manager (?? of no note) running expensive products that depend on commissioned advisers ( sic) to sell them?? The Financial environment does not offer a future for such an expensive offering.How do you value it - its opaque - FURTHERMORE its a business that basically depends on a positive stock market to drive up its value. This is a has been business - and only the traders and managers got rich out of it.I can not see this as a long term hold - even on the recent underpricing( where I bought some and then sold them pretty soon after)
0 Kudos