Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Old posts ?

Thojody
Occasional Contributor
How do I view old posts on this web site???
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
if you can remember who posted then just click on their name and it'll bring up all their previous posts
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
If Forumites would stick to placing discussions for specific shares under the appropriate share heading, in time this would result in a meaningful accessible database.

Trying to find an old post under general, not remembering who posted it, is like searching for a needle in a haystack.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why would anyone put a needle in a haystack? "Let's just put it there and see if the guy can find it", "Let's see which of the cows stomach's this one goes in to" or "Oh *****, I lost my needle in that ther haystack paw, help me find it?" A better idiom "In the Land of the Blind One-Eyed is King" is believable. Haystack scenario, not so much.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
if you do however accidently drop your prized needle in a haystack that best was for you to find it it to get a large trough of water gently overflowing onto a conveyer belt of magnets. and bale by bale start processing the hay by 1st putting into the water and as the hay floats push it over the edge over the magnets. You should bopefully either find your needle at the bottom of the water as it would have sunk or you might be lucky enough to find it stuck to on of your magnets... hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ooo, never thought of the "sentimental" scenario. Super thanks, that's been bothering me. Why do men have nipples?
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Please, these post replies should be posted under Educational!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Andrew M. Simons, a professor of biology at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, explains. Like all "why" queries, the question of why men have nipples can be addressed on many levels. My four-year-old daughter, always suspicious of a trick when asked such obvious questions, answered: "because they grow them." In search of the trick answer, she quickly added that "chests would also look pretty funny with just hair." Evolutionary biologists, whose job it is to explain variety in nature, are often expected to provide adaptive explanations for such "why" questions. Some traits may prove-through appropriate tests-to be best explained as adaptations; others have perfectly good evolutionary, but nonadaptive, explanations. This is because evolution is a process constrained by many factors including history, chance, and the mechanisms of heredity, which also explains why particular attributes of organisms are not as they would be had they been "designed" from scratch. Nipples in male mammals illustrate a constrained evolutionary result. A human baby inherits one copy of every gene from his or her father and one copy of every gene from his or her mother. Inherited traits of a boy should thus be a combination of traits from both his parents. Thus, from a genetic perspective, the question should be turned around: How can males and females ever diverge if genes from both parents are inherited? We know that consistent differences between males and females (so-called sexual dimorphisms) are common--examples include bird plumage coloration and size dimorphism in insects. The only way such differences can evolve is if the same trait (color, for example) in males and females has become "uncoupled" at the genetic level. This happens if a trait is influenced by different genes in males and females, if it is under control of genes located on sex chromosomes, or if gene expression has evolved to be dependent on context (whether genes find themselves within a male or a female genome). The idea of the shared genetic basis of two traits (in this case in males and females) is known as a genetic correlation, and it is a quantity routinely measured by evolutionary geneticists. The evolutionary default is for males and females to share characters through genetic correlations. The uncoupling of male and female traits occurs if there is selection for it: if the trait is important to the reproductive success of both males and females but the best or "optimal" trait is different for a male and a female. We would not expect such an uncoupling if the attribute is important in both sexes and the "optimal" value is similar in both sexes, nor would we expect uncoupling to evolve if the attribute is important to one sex but unimportant in the other. The latter is the case for nipples. Their advantage in females, in terms of reproductive success, is clear. But because the genetic "default" is for males and females to share characters, the presence of nipples in males is probably best explained as a genetic correlation that persists through lack of selection against them, rather than selection for them. Interestingly, though, it could be argued that the occurrence of problems associated with the male nipple, such as carcinoma, constitutes contemporary selection against them. In a sense, male nipples are analogous to vestigial structures such as the remnants of useless pelvic bones in whales: if they did much harm, they would have disappeared. In a now-famous paper, Stephen Jay Gould and Richard C. Lewontin emphasize that we should not immediately assume that every trait has an adaptive explanation. Just as the spandrels of St. Mark's domed cathedral in Venice are simply an architectural consequence of the meeting of a vaulted ceiling with its supporting pillars, the presence of nipples in male mammals is a genetic architectural by-product of nipples in females. So, why do men have nipples? Because females do.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I see. What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Well super, remember when Zarp was trying to short the bull. . . .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Fair enough. If god creates a rock so heavy that even he cannot lift, does he then cease to be god?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
If you can make it, why lift it?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I dunno... Say if particularly challenging minion says "Hey chana, bet you can't lift that rock eh?"
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Well, if I was god and couldn't lift the big rock, I'd lift one a bit smaller and drop it on the challenging minion.
0 Kudos
destech
Contributor
ROFL ! ANd all this has answered Thojody's question how? I log on after 6 months and see the forum (not the forumites!) still suck. Sorry Thojody; there's a bin into which old posts go, and it gets emtied each day by a person with nipples, or a machine with magnets, or a guy with a big rock on his shoulder, anyway, we don't know who it is, so we don't know where to go looking for old posts. Sorry. Ask Std Bank to improve the forum if you haven't yet used up all your quota of characters on your keyboard, else just accept that this forum is just a minaturised chatroom and you'll be quite content.
0 Kudos