Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

On line share trading courses

Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Hi all, hope you guys are well. Any value in attending the "High probability stock trading" as well as the "practical trading systems" courses?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Bentley
Frequent Contributor
depends on who is giving the course. My experience has been that any course called "high probability" is absolute rubbish because there is no such thing in trading or investing. There is at best only a slight probability in your favour. It sounds like on of those search for the holy grail type courses.
0 Kudos
Bentley
Frequent Contributor
ah i see its Garth McKenzie....he has the right attitude and experience...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Well , Mark, I did make the same comment here a year ago.... I agree that high probability courses are are waste of time....
0 Kudos
Bentley
Frequent Contributor
yes...putting any comments on Garth's course aside for now because i know him and respect him. The first course any person should attend should be a course in which it is drummed into the participants that there is no such thing as high probability. And then they should be shown that there is no need for it. Making money consistently is not about being able to predict the direction of the market (sure it helps) but about trading/investing well. I often make money having more losing trades than winning trades. Thats what you should be taught.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely we all accept that trying to predict the direction of the market is impossible ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And don't forget,,,,you should never pay for a course.....your broker will provide them to you free if you trade, invest with them.....as for subscriptions, well put that into a monthly satrix....we have the Internet, information overload.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Thanks. I believe that getting ideas are a good thing to help accelerate the learning curve. At the end I think that its up to the individual to apply his own mind and logic to become a successful trader/investor.
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
Highly recommended, worth the money, investing in oneself should never be viewed as a liability!!
0 Kudos
Bentley
Frequent Contributor
err no Simon...you will be surprised at how many strive towards this...does the term "high probability" not create the suggestion that we can ...at the very least it creates the normative. If you dont agree with this simple statement I will know its the old Simon disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing...dont really want to go down that well trodden what has now become boring path...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Agreed, reyden, it's a personal choice. my take on High probability is that one can only know that potential loss, and the probability of reaching a certain target, is never known....so the term high probability should not be used
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
i was actually poking at you "sure it helps" comment .. if we have zero chance of predicting the future, the "sure it helps" really stuck out as odd
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
High probability stock trading may be a wrong name for the course. If you look at the front page of Garth's website, you'll see the following performance stats: Total winners 184, Total losers 172. That certainly does not reflect high probability. Garth makes his profits through sound money management and managing his risks. That is lessons well worth learning.
0 Kudos
Bentley
Frequent Contributor
Topix...i think you summed it better than all of us. The point is "high probability" does not exist. It exists only to sell courses. If traders investors were aware of just how low the probability is in your favour (in Garths case just over 5%) they would either never trade but if they did would be much better traders.
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
Agreed, he should reconsider renaming the course. The course notes = about 84 pages, it covers entry techniques, risk management and portfolio management and more, well worth and to crown it he is very helpful and knowledge, not a hoarder of info.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And he admits his bad trades, I have the greatest respect for him....
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
high probability, does exist, especially if you are buying an oversold share at support level and all indicators(RSI,MACD) are grouped in the oversold category.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Our discussion is now past that nonsense about all the indicators grouping at the bottom .....money management, position sizing, that's where the money is
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I make more money with a 40% win ratio, than when I had an 80% win ratio, cause its true the win ratio is irrelevant, risk/reward and money management is more crucial than anything else.

Anyways Garths course is excellent, Ive been on it and spoken to him many times about the material. Definitely someone worth listening to.
0 Kudos