Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

On rare occasions ,a special share comes to the market.....

barry_1
Super Contributor
....that has its own intelectual capital and served niche markets as well.In the past such shares were SOFTLINE,PRISM and IST.I bought each when they were first listed and although each one climbed over a longer period of time,none were fully understood by the market.There were long periods when their share price stagnated.Private buyers bought them out at various times and have made fortunes.I mourned their passing.This is the only small cap i hold at the moment.Do well to read up about it.Finweek on june 26 covers it in a survey.Really only my personal opinion.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Not applicable
Hi Barry, I hold this share and feel I made a huge mistake by not selling it at 85c yesterday as it seems the excitement over the forecasted earnings has subsided. Please advise me in your opinion whether I should hold on at current price? and what your forcasts are for this share over the next 6 months. I honestly have no idea what to expect hence not giving an opinion.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Barry, not to mention Sim and MRF, 2-3 years ago I made I bought SIM at 72c and 18 months later cashed out at +- 500, MRF i bought at 150 in 10/08 and cashed out at 398 six months later. I can quote numberous examples, like when Bill was still at 9800.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Also have a look at recently listed POY - very strong on intellectual capital - although the shareprice might need to settle down first....
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I have no idea what this share will do now or later,with these small caps one has to have a great deal of patience,i'm going to hold for at least a year before reveiwing my position.The share seems under priced as it followed the market down.Thanks Topgun i'll have a look at POY
0 Kudos
Johnny_D
Occasional Contributor
I feel good about this share and confident that the returns in the long term will be rewarding... JD
0 Kudos
Not applicable
BRE which listed on wednesday is probably worth looking at in the long term. Providing alternative smelter technology to Platinum Juniors at a discount to the big three's toll treating stranglehold on the industry can only be good in the long term. If you look at the who's who's of the company it's virtually overrun by ex Anglo Platinum technical staff.Only worth holding in the long term though, these small/medium caps are too volatile at the moment i.e Eastplats down 16% today ...ouch
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Barry,do you have a view on the plat shares eg ams,arq,nhm and when they might start recovering?They have all been hit hard,no doubt due to fears that the global economy is slowing and its effect on car manufacturing etc.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi.Russ,They are worth holding just for the dividends.Perhaps less now but IMP in the past sold 90% of its output on contracts and a large part of AMS as well so the platimum price has very little bearing on their dividends.However as overseas investors have this share they take the platinum spot price into consideration as they dont seem to know any better and as the SPOT PRICE is still declining i personally wont buy any till it stabilises.As for NHM it usually rises before dividend time and falls there after, so watch out for that.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
ARQ is thinly traded,but seems the bestof the bunch ,at the moment.OMO.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Thanks,Barry.There was also some tech analysis on ams on 8th July.See buy and sell ideas-tech analysis.
0 Kudos