Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Online distance MBA

Not applicable
Hi guys, looking for some advice regarding doing a online distance learning MBA. Has anyone have experience or opinion of the different Business schools and optons? Currently I'm considering Liverpool, Maastricht, IE, Edinburgh and Northeastern. All of them have the online distance learning option, affordable and are internationally recognised. Please advise...
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I saw the adverts on CNBC, but dont know anything about them... I am a fan of Harvard though... HBR (Harvard Business Review) is very interesting to read for people interested in this stuff...
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Peter, why do you want to do an MBA? There were two reasons I undertook my MBA (apart from enhanced education), 1st to grow my business networks and 2nd to be associated with a recognised business education brand. I was accepted to Insead (France) and IMD (Switzerland) but decided to do it at WITS instead. The reason I did it at WITS is because I plan to continue to live and work South Africa and WITS is a recognised brand in SA. The second reason is that many of my peers also wanted to continue to live and work in SA, the consequence is that my business network would be predominately based in South Africa. So consider a local business school like WITS or UCT, both have great programs. Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Agreed. Also, you benefit a lot from class discussion and syndicate work. Seriously, just reading it in a book loses a lot.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also did mine through Wits (but GIBS, UCT, and USB equally good), and can honestly say that I doubt a correspondence course will not teach you much that you cannot find out for yourself. By far the most valuable is the interaction with your classmates, and the contacts you build. Second is your interaction with your lecturers. And if you really want to still get international recognition, then take advantage of the exchange programmes, where you pay local university rates, but do your electives at a number of international accredited universities as an exchange student.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
agree with most said here. MBA will teach u nothing much that u should'nt already know. Main thing is the networking. Plan to do mine f/t at UCT next year. If online is ur only option....I'll b biased and say Edinburgh. Studied my undergrad there and it's truly one of educational pioneer institutions of the world. Biggest advantage of "premier" schools is the screening process for applicants like gmat,age ,experience, etc. This way u know you'll b amoungst a quality network and not some 22 yr old freshman with a 100IQ..adios!
0 Kudos