Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Opening Auction

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guys, What is the opening auction? Who participates and how? Is it electronic or does everyone meet at Burchmores. Does it work like Burchmores - what is being auctioned? Regards
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
everybody can get involved, just placean order .. at 9am the system determines at what price the largest volume takes place - and that's the opening price ..
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Simon -thanks for that- one more question - is it possible for a transaction to take place before 9am.I see sometimes on CNBCA that the prices of some shares are showing movements before opening time - how is this possible - or am I looking at the previous day's prices? Thanks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they are off market .. ignore them ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The question is how does it happen off market... do some big boys have more power outside the market times to trade what I assume is essentially OTC trades?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they have to be of large size, one party has to be foreign, the price has to be within range, they have to be reported to the JSE by 6pm on the day or pre-opening if they happened late on the day ..
0 Kudos