Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Opening a trading account and a long term account

Not applicable
Could I have some feedback from you guys that have been doing this for some time? Should I have 2 accounts open one to trade short term (couple of months) and one that is for the longer term (3 -5 years)?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Preston
Super Contributor
Hi, depends on your trading objectives and cashflow requirement. Usually you can use a primary account as a long term trade and then use your warrant account as a short term trade,if you are trading geared instruments.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Its a good idea to separate your investing and trading accounts to cater for the different tax requirements or rules. If you do this there isnt really a way SARS can query your tax returns. This obviously has to be balanced against the cost implications of having two accounts open. IMHO.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Is there a additional cost implication though. I thought you could open the 2 trading accounts and split the shares which you trade either long or short term?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Yes you should open 2 accounts, if only for tax reasons. No extra cost.
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
So just for clarity, i can open a second account and still pay my R50 a month flat rate ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hello Simon. Is it possible to move share holdings from one account to another. So that if I open a second account, I will be able to move holdings that I would like to trade into a Trading account?
0 Kudos