Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Opening/closing auctions

richardw
Super Contributor
I don't get what's going on in the auctions. From what I can tell, bids are set too high and offers too low. Some stocks seem to have these mad jumps which recover in the morning. Anyone care to give me an idea of auction strategies? Do people lose money on them, or is it some terribly sophisticated thing that's going on?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
dookie
Regular Contributor
Yonatan once told us it's only the market makers which participate. I think it's half a dozen or so instutions - Std, ABSA etc. etc. They apparently do it by phone and it goes something along the lines of we need 100 million of xyz... who's selling? We have xxx of xyz, who's buying? And they settle on the price. I suppose it depends how desperately they need to dump/buy their excess stock (pun?) which contributes to those gaps. I suppose a generous quantity discount can also be negotiated on a million or so Standard Banks, like the other day :-)
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Thanks - that makes sense. Stay in hiding, then :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not correct .. anybody can partake in the auction (closing, opening, intra-day) .. bids and offers are entered into the market - but not matched until the auction ends - open (9am) or close (5pm) .. then at the close/open the system matches the single trade at price at which the most volume trades .. that trade could include many people on either side, not a single on eitgher side ..
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Thanks for the right answer - Simon!
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Ah... see... So the system selects the price which sells the largest volume of shares? And the rest don't get sold, because they don't match that price?
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Oh - and how is that price arrived at? Is it the (weighted) average price of the sellers (buyers?) or literally the most frequent(statistically) price?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The system will pick a price p such there is an equal volume of bids above or equal to p, as the volume of offers below or equal to p. Then all of those trades will go through at a price of p. Therefore, in the auction, your trade could go through at a better price than your bid / offer, but never at a worse price. After the auction, all of the bids that remain are at a lower price than the remaining offers.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
I swear that's what the man told me - I shall have to smack his rump when I next see him!
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Okay. I'm still wrestling with that maths, but the last part is very intersting (useful) ie that it's basically like an auction with reserve - you can do better, but not worse than your price. I suppose that holds for buyers and sellers, right?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, both buyers and sellers will get a price equal to or better than their bid / offer.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
... to be more explicit, in case the math is still too complicated - a buyer will get a price equal or lower than his/her bid; a seller will get a price equal to or higher than his/her offer.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Aw.. Tim. You are a scholar and a gentleman :-)
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
RichardW & Dookie....download the from this link the JSE's very own explanation, with charts & tables etc., of how this process works.....: http://www.4shared.com/file/88447958/3e4b4c30/JSE_Guidance_Note_Auction_Functionality.html ...hope its what you looking for. Good trading.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Tank you! Will do. Untold riches and fortunes on you too sir.
0 Kudos