Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Options for investing

Blik
Super Contributor
Hi all. We have a small local forum here in the boonies. A question was posed recently, which follows as. If you have the following amounts free (this is after all expenses included, your bond, beer, wine, plug and sex etc etc), what would you do with them? What would be your prefered vehicle of investment? R 100.00 per month R 300.00 per month R 500.00 per monnth R 1000.00 per month I would do the following: R 100.00 - cash savings until I had R 1000.00, and then buyUnitTrusts. R 300.00 - monthly into a unit trust R 500.00 - Auto share invest R 1000.00 - open an OST account and buy shares I think many people who dont know anything about investing have these types of amounts to save on a monthly basis and are not sure of what they should do. Far too often do they just sit in their cheque accounts losing value. Any opinions appreciated.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
satrix, not unit trusts ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
why? Is it cheaper?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
To RL13 - through what. A broker, OST, Auto Share Invest?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cheaper .. due to the costs in a unit trust only soem 15% general equity funds out preform the index (satrix) .. divi only if you want income, rafi better for growth ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
for small amount direct or ASI ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon - is it not worth SFM writing a short comparative readme document for people who have small amounts of monthly cash spare, to use as a guide as to what to do? Maybe in spreadsheet form or the like? The other option is to go pay your bucks and get professional advice. One point worth noting is that it was through similar types of small saving that got me interested in online trading.
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Auto share invest is quite restrictive due to the fact that you can only buy on the 25th of the month but nevertheless a good platform to start with to get the feel of the share market.
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Auto share invest is quite restrictive due to the fact that you can only buy on the 25th of the month but nevertheless a good platform to start with to get the feel of the share market.
0 Kudos
magicactus
Frequent Contributor
And SA is noted as a declining NIC, similar to Spain, Greece, Portagul etc in the early 20 centuary
0 Kudos