Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ormond Commodites

xxx
Not applicable
I have been contacted by this company from Europe. They claim that they are a registered broker on the Frankfurt Futures and Options Exchange. The have been trying to sell me gasoline options. All sounds very tempting at gearing of 400. I was given the website for both the exchange and the company Ormond Commodities, both of which are impressive looking sites. I then called the number on the exchange to authenticate Ormond Commodities and it went to fax. I am convinced this is a scam. Has anyone been contacted or heard of Ormond commodities or the Frankfurt Futures and Options Exchange?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
GL
Contributor
Sounds like a scam.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
of course it is a scam. If it is so good, why are they having to call southern africa to flog things. And 400 gearing will do one thing and one thing only - bankrupt you.
0 Kudos
Spike
Contributor
I was once contacted by a crowd supposedly in UK (phoning from Spain). Wanted to sell me land in UK by the sq metre ('landbanking'). Bloke I know fell for it, lost all his retirement savings when these people ducked. My brother's just had phone call about investing in an aircraft that someone's supposedly invented. 'Listed on the DASDQ' they claim; suddenly they aren't when boet says oh yer, what's the code, what's the price? Duck, dodge & dive.
0 Kudos
Spike
Contributor
Typo: NASDAQ listing was their claim!
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
Question is, how'd they get your number?
sadly "there's a sucker born ever minute", so there will always be people hunting for them suckers. my rule is if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is and should be treated with caution at best, or better yet disdain.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
You probably know, a woman in the Vall triangle that was asking for people's capital sometime back now. She was offering 10% return on investment every month! This one also came to an end tragically for a lot of people. Someone went in with 3 million into that deal, not to see his money coming back.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Proof that it does not take brains to make a buck!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
In total she made off with 900 million rand.
0 Kudos
Pleiades
Frequent Contributor
We all get those calls from Spain/Cayman Islands etc and all of you no doubt have won at least one Belgian/Irish lottery this week (without so much as buying a ticket). On a slow day take a look at http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm for a laugh.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
What really puzzle me ...Is the accuracy of your telephone number and the reciepient name... The question that beg to be answered is whether any of these individual that has been contacted or been scamed ,has used their credit card to purchase products from a non south website?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the probably get your details from the share registery, which is public domain info. So they know you own shares and got your name, not just your contact details.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I have a fantastic investment opprotunity for forumites. It's called Wine of the Month Club. Every month you lot buy me a good bottle of wine. And in return. . .er .. . well. . that's it really. You lot buy me a bottle of wine every month.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Actually I think it is one of the best ways to compound money as a small saving individual.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
yes john. And as I like to say, 'it is more blessed to give than to receive.'
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Return to sender ,the empty bottle of the drink u enjoyed the most,call it his first prize and ask him to repeat his entry for the following month!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I remember, about 6 months ago, this chap called "John Bailey" calls me from Malaysia. A broker. He says, "We have recieved information that ABC company is about to win undersea drilling contracts off mainland China"-he says. "I only have 1000 shares left"..."We expect it to go up by 155% he says". I politely refuse and say I shall have to do my research on the company and deduce from its past performance weather I will invest or not.........(30min later,international call mind you.)......."I only have 100 shares left".......(15 min later)......"I only have 50 left now, its the last of them!!) I swear, this chap called me everyday for 5 days, each time a minimum of 15min. I listened, I asked about the most intricate details(most of which he was unsure of or would ask his supervisor later), I toyed with him....it was fun..!!!He gave up eventually...
0 Kudos