Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Oscillators

Not applicable
How strong is technical analysis based on the study of oscillators, Do any of u use this tool
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Rams
Super Contributor
if the turn on the oscillators could make us money, there will not be a market....all the technical indicators will fail 2 out of every 3 times...so 66.6% failure rate!What you need is the strong discipline to take the trades thats successful 33.3% of the time and even stronger discipline to maximise profits on the winning trade without being a HOG that gets slaughtered!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Extremely unreliable. Overbought and oversold is a myth, as the best rallies happen when overbought. But they are pretty useful for measuring trend - i.e. when pointing up, and above 50%, don't try and short. So they tend to be more useful as filters for trades, rather than indicators.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I kinda love using oscillator. It has added some substance to my trading.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I agree, i use it for reasons Skaap posted, but its just as good as watching seawood grow...or was it grass? maybe grass because as soon as it falls onto the ground it it grows up again...eh eh
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Finding to be more applicable as the tick period increases and then only where back testing gives adequate correlation. Outbreaks of sustained volatility blurs most all TA. The influence of high-volume, short-duration computer algorithm trading in thin markets creates risk of suicide for analogue (human) traders. Please interpret. This does not compute. Never mind Hal, we want to keep it this way.
0 Kudos