Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

P and L Report

DA
Contributor
Simon, can you please assist. I'm not sure why I seem to be the only one with this problem. I understand that the techies are working on improving the P&L Report - I phoned the help desk and we worked out that the "From" date at the top is now automatically set to today's date, so when you click on Futures P&L it always resets to this. This means that the Total P&L column shows the movement since the start of the day, which is pretty meaningless. If you change the From date, then it shows everything since that date, ie, if you bought BIL in May and closed it all out at R10,000 profit, and now you have taken a new position in BIL which is currently at a loss of R2,000, the Report will actually show it as an R8,000 profit, which is useless for the current position that you are trying to manage. In the past, the P&L Report used to only show the current position, and gave the net P&L for each share irrespective of when you started buying each share. Can you please investigate. Also, it would be useful to have teh Total P&L column more towards the left - as it is now, you have to scroll to the right and then the share name disappears to the left, so it is quite frustrating. As I say, not sure why no one else seems to have this problem.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DA
Contributor
Simon - any comment?
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Am I correct in saying that the P&l report shows profits/losses net of all trading costs?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon esp with installments. If you add,sell, add and sell.OST always get the unit price wrong. This has been consistently been wrong. Surely this can be rectified.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the question is what's right and what's wrong .. or is it just different .. the P&L as they used to be were not a real reflection .. the buying selling of instalments reflects the acuurate position in terms of cash in/out .. are there other ways of presenting data - always .. which is the best is a debate ..
0 Kudos
DA
Contributor
Simon, the previous report was just fine for me. The only thing it didn't do was include the costs from previous days, otherwise the profit or loss at any point in time was spot on so far as I could see. It had every open position, ie every future that was still open, and had it back to the date of first purchase/sale of that particular share. The new/current version is meaningless, unless I am missing something. Perhaps we could have both versions on the menu?
0 Kudos