Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

PDK and SK's portfolios

sk_1
Super Contributor
Some of u may remember that I gave my two children PDK (19) and SK (24) one hundred Grand each to invest on the stock exchange. PDK was up 20 per cent just before the "crash" and managed to stop loss all his shares. His pertfolio is now worth R106 000.00. SK bought Anglo and Mittal without stop losses and is now down R30 Grand. Pdk has started to carefully buy again (bought Old Mutual at 55 and is considering selling at 10). SK is fully subscribed and is holding for the long term. It will be interesting to see who has made the most money in 5 years time.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
saash
Super Contributor
This is great :) Please give us further updates on quarterly intervals!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Yeah, sounds good. Hope they work out well.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
That is very interesting! In April I asked the forum for advice for the same amount for my kids, I took them to a couple of the OST courses and they both decided that they would rather just buy the satrix40 and watch the market. There portfolio is up 12% to date!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Hi, hdk - fortunately for the son, except if he has more to benefit from in the form of interest, etc he will not be taxed on the R6k profit he realized, but he will have to check his position as he is now prone to SARS's whip stick, due to the Jan2008 regulation. Your daughter is fortunate not to have lost more... she should recover well with patience, unfortunately has now entered a passive "play ground" - hope her day job keeps her busy and prosperous enough to forget this set back. Adios
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Hey, think it is great what you did but still cant understand this South African tradition of giving giving giving to their children. Dont you think you are disadvantaging them in life. Lets face it, unless you work and earn for it, I dont think they appreciate it???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
He just wants to brag.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Hdk, I reckon exposing one's kids to the stock market is a great financial lesson for them. I look forward to offering the same opportunity to my kids. May I ask why you decided to do it?
0 Kudos