Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

PNC and the three day rule

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
kwagga
Super Contributor
Funny rule - very subjective if you ask me. You could be just buying into a dead cat bounce if day three doesn't set a new low.
0 Kudos
Edge
Frequent Contributor
when you buy microsoft software where do you think it comes from? Workgroup systems! Do you think people will stop buying software? Pinicale is one of the biggest suppliers/importer of computer equipment in SA with all the popular major brands. They supply other computer dealers who resale to public. All that will happen is some start up will tender and buy the goods from pinicale to resale to gov tender. And gov are slow buyers and payers. Unless they buy the goods from Sahara (Gupta) or Mustek/Rectron ( Wong). Ha Ha. i think this will blow over. i think one can make money here. So i think Garth may be right.
0 Kudos
Edge
Frequent Contributor
when you buy microsoft software where do you think it comes from? Workgroup systems! Do you think people will stop buying software? Pinicale is one of the biggest suppliers/importer of computer equipment in SA with all the popular major brands. They supply other computer dealers who resale to public. All that will happen is some start up will tender and buy the goods from pinicale to resale to gov tender. And gov are slow buyers and payers. Unless they buy the goods from Sahara (Gupta) or Mustek/Rectron ( Wong). Ha Ha. i think this will blow over. i think one can make money here. So i think Garth may be right.
0 Kudos
kylescot
Occasional Contributor
Garth might well be right, but there could still be some small downside.. I think with a 50% drop in Market Cap in 3 day Mr Market has now punished Pinnacle for its tardy reporting and behaviour.. so let us look at what Mr Buffett the Sage of Omaha says, his advice is when a profitable company with good fundamentals gets hammered by the market on sentiment look for buying opportunities as memories are short when dividends are still flowing.. his best example is BP falling 50% over a few days after the Gulf of Mexico massive oil spill.. but within a year it was back to its pre spill price.. based on that I am a buyer of Pinnacle at around 11.50
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
UNAUDITED INTERIM RESULTS for the six months ended 31 December 2013 HIGHLIGHTS ? REVENUE up 1.1% to R3.2 billion ? EBITDA up 1.7% to R232 million ? NPAT up 9.0% to R162 million ? HEPS up 1.7% to 95.4 cents
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but every rule is subjective .. heck every action is ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an you delved in to understand the why's ??
0 Kudos
magicactus
Frequent Contributor
A bit of a difference between an oil spill and bribery allegations though
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
All their contracts are going to be subject to scrutiny. Look how the directors were dealing their shares, insider trading... What if they uncover other contracts which were obtained by bribes. Whether guilty or not, one has to be cautious. Why try and be greedy, there are lots of other gems available if one looks hard enough. To use the BP example is not comparing apples with apples.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
All their contracts are going to be subject to scrutiny. Look how the directors were dealing their shares, insider trading... What if they uncover other contracts which were obtained by bribes. Whether guilty or not, one has to be cautious. Why try and be greedy, there are lots of other gems available if one looks hard enough. To use the BP example is not comparing apples with apples.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
If you look into it, insider trading unlikely. I thought it was worth a punt this morning. A lot of fear, panic last couple of days offers opportunity in my mind. Is that greed?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Still more bleeding to come. At R10.80, it is worth a short term punt.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
actually 1180c was the entry
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@simon [Speaking like Gill Marcus] I have assessed the downside risk relative to any short term profit, and i have concluded that the difference between your entry price and my projected entry price can be seen as a buffer to sustain any incorrect technic
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@simon [Speaking like Gill Marcus] I have assessed the downside risk relative to any short term profit, and i have concluded that the difference between your entry price and my projected entry price can be seen as a buffer to sustain any incorrect technic
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I see some more director selling. Guess it's not just the market that's panicking.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Now when last did the Hawks? arrest somebody not involved in something seriously illegal? (apologies if I forgot) In some countries huge penaltys to be paid and really serious consequences for a lot of people here.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I see the CEO claims it was a huge misunderstanding. I tend to agree. Bribing the wrong guy can lead to these little mishaps. This is one bribe that went terribly wrong, but the question remains - How many listed companies can do legal business with government these days ? My guess is very, very few, and as they say, the show must go on. Sad reality of this poor county. I heard hair raising stories of hundreds of millions of rands that could have been invested in this country but was taken off the table because the reserve bank wouldn't release the funds before some connected cronies got 40% of the company/venture/NGO. Really a pity that this county chose the moral low ground.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
kwagga he had cfds, tis called a very nasty margin call and best thing to do with a margin call is panic very quick
0 Kudos