Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

PPC

divz
Super Contributor
Can anyone tell me why this share has moved up 34% in the last month i cannot recall if there was any bullish news only that cement sales were down?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
Investors sold PPC a year ago based on expectations that sales may go down and it did. Now they are buying for the opposite reason. Sold mine march 2008 and bought back early December 2008. Too soon maybe?!! Sold all my Mutuals about a year ago and bought back a portion last week. For the same reasons like PPC. Maybe I should have done more?? Obviously not the only reasons but combined with technicals and fundamentals. Based on NAV these shares are cheap?/
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Thanks hibiscus agree with you however there are lots of shares that were punished during the bear cycle ie MUR etc however these shares are not moving up to this extent PPC so my thoughts were that the up move although imminent is a little prem
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Possibly / probably premature - but dont investors see PPC as a bit of a safe house? Surely it hasnt moved on the back of its Level 4 BBBEE rating...lol. I'll wait (I hope) until is drops back below 28 before I try to buy some more - although maybe I'll wait a while.
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
Agree Blik but I have tried the list the reasons why I see PPC as a safe house - help.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I think it's considered a strong company with few competitors that pays pretty big dividends. Even at this price it's paying better than almost all companies. Reduced market fear + dropping interest rates => income replacement?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Manual alluded to a large amount of extra budget in the EPWP programme - hopefully some building projects in there, and some cement use -although that may be a bit simplistic. What is China's need at the moment? will dig a bit.
0 Kudos
bob1_1
Contributor
PPC went down to R28-R24 when the rand/dollar was +/- R7,50 - 8.50, also because of construction. Cement was also imported. Now the imported cement is more expensive due to exchange rate. & one thing we all forget is that cement is also used in the contruction of roads (So with all the roads under contruction now, did it replace the demand from construction)
0 Kudos