Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

PSG Value?

asylum
Super Contributor
PSG has a PE of 5.76 is this share under valued any oppinions?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Preston
Super Contributor
Not really...My advise to you is follow the money. M Jooste invested a large sum of money ....He must know something....
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
So if you say they are not under valued what about other financcial like investec that has a PE of almost 14 are they then overvalued?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Sometimes an illogical approach should be taken when investing..We have been brainwashed to think and talk in a similiar monotonus way. Illogical approach... Markus Jooste is one of the smartest man around , he has played an intergral role together with Chris van Niekerk in shaping Phumelela.... So if has invested +/1 R500m in PSG. I guess he believe that that P/E ratio is low and there exist tremendous growth potential... Do some research on Markus Jooste.... This is only my opinion..................
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Just note that some of the reason for the low PE is the fact that PSG made huge windfall Profits in the last year that from their own mouths are not going to be repeated in future years ( depends whether you believe that or not) If you were to normalise their previous year's earnings you will find the PE to be in excess of 10 (I only reckon) and that is why its not currently on a 12 ro 14 PE... IMO
0 Kudos
GdM
Frequent Contributor
Who the H3LL has R500m lying around? That's insane...
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Most goverment officials.
0 Kudos
GdM
Frequent Contributor
No way. Not that type of money. Not even corrupt government officials. That's stratospheric.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
JC - Agreed . But to me a P/E ratio only tell me based on historical Earning per share (current financial year), how long it will take, before you can recoup that share price. P/E Ratio play a significant role in valuation of a company when the is a potential sale although valuation based on P/E ratio is extremely subjective and at best left alone. What is important to me is that 1.) The share price has doubled over a period of 12 month. 2.) It has attracted the interest of a RISING INFLUENTIAL MAN ie Markus Jooste. PS I am not promoting this share only expressing an opinion based on what little information i know about Markus Jooste
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Check out the obv and volumes from two days ago. Looks like someone REALY likes the share..
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Preston, with u on this one. Merely answering the Q regarding the low PE. Because its historic the PE ratio assumes at least the same amount of profit going forward and it will pay off your price u paid in 5.76 years. Problem comes in when your next year's profit is lower! Its a technicality. PE's aside, Id also go for this one purely on said individual's interests! U know, he coulda bought Rm500 in his own company but he didnt......
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Exactly..He could have invested in Steinhoff but he choose to invest in PSG. Do not be alarm that the share price will basically double in 12 month time. Sometime an illogical approach to investing is required... We need to understand the individual that is pumping the money into PSG... He is certainly no fool!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dunno if this counts for anything, but a large US hedgefund has been stalking JSE for awhile (they are in the top five worldwide in terms of money under management). I don't know for sure, but I think they are the other big stock holder in the JSE, along with PSG, who hold the bulk of JSE ltd's shares. The fund in question is a value miner - they find companies that are undervalued, or perhaps in trouble, and buy a stake large enough to get them onto the board. Their strategy is to hold for up to five years, and sell with a large profit. Ergo, could be they see the JSE as undervalued - or potentially worth a lot more - and are talking to PSG. As we say in the biznezz, though, don't quote me..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Thank for that info. I was not aware of those facts.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Gravy, I think you've just added a few colours to my picture of PSG. Something is definitely up. No one with Jooste's business acumen would invest this amount of money in any company if there is little payback. The JSE has also moved from R70 - R80 within the last two weeks. I smell a big fat rat....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
remember FSB rules state that nobody can own more then 15% of the JSE.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Don't stress Simon..I have only got 14.967% , still a bit short.(LOL)
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I don't want to ***** anyone's bubble but PSG has liquidated their 15% stake in JSE Ltd. some time ago as they were refused board representation - check their results annoncement on SENS.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yup - you right - PSG did sell. Well spotted, TG. Still, the JSE remains on the US radar. So much for my supposition - must be some other reason Jooste is interested in PSG..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Come to think of it - maybe he needs a tax loss..
0 Kudos