Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Pallinghurst

Blik
Super Contributor
Ok about 8 years or thereabouts, ago Whitey Basson puts out an angry statement saying the market isn't valuing Shopright and he might delist. Then a few years back Brian Joffe puts out a statement saying the market isnt valuing Bidvest correctly. Look at these two companies now
Now Brian Gilbertson says the market isnt valuing Pallinghurst properly....should we be buying? Didnt Christo Wiese just take out some exposure to PGL? Should we be listening to these clever people.
I bought some at the IPO and its been down....am thinking about buying more. Hmm. Waiting for the bullets.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Whitey's threats were B/S - he knew the co was worth more...just a matter of time before the strategic decision to go to the central distribution model paid off...it takes time but then pays off handsomely - ...PnP still trying to catch up... PGL - good point but not so sure...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Agreed - but maybe Whitey knew something - while his threat might have been BS, the share has certainly done rather well
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
Whitey Basson - well known Brian Joffe - well known Brian Gilbertson - who ?
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Gilbertson has been in mining forever, was CEO of Billiton at one time and Gencor and I've forgotten the rest. He's got the T shirt.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Now? Glibertson has been cranking the undervalued handle for a long time - and has a wardrobe full of t-shirts. Clearly given the times this is still a three or so year view that one has to accept. But the value has a strong probability of unlooking over that time. The question is - what is ACT 2 SCENE 2 going to be? The model is the key - does it work long term? I think it has every prospect of working - there has been some clever thinking eg the Gemfields approach...(AND I am still laughing at the stones thrown on this forum at the Faberge revival - it WAS clearly a clever thing to do - now with a moat around it the width of the Atlantic.)
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
There are certainly challenges for PGL - am not disputing that at all. I am just sending out a left-field thought: Previously some clever business managers all complained that their babies were not valued correctly, and all have risen significantly since then. Now another clever manager is doing the same, so should we listen? It's not like Mr Gilbertson hasn't done it before now. Again, just a left-field thought.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
first find me the CEO who says their stock is over valued ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
True....but maybe they sometimes have a point. Question might be then which CEOs do we really like and trust to deliver. Then maybe back them and buy those companies.
0 Kudos