Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Paulson to announce new package

Ninja
Super Contributor
I see Paulson will be making a further statement today at 10am US time regarding further funding.....will this drive the Dow higher and see the S&P moving back above 850 towards the 1000 mark?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
_nova
Super Contributor
The US Q3 GDP at 15h30 our time and the House Price Index at 16h00 are more important. Paulson will only really have an effect if he says something silly, again
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Thanks...will watch that closely.....can we see the Dow/S&P drift slowly back up towards Christmas before collapse again in new year or is this wishful thinking? JSE seems to have bounced off support and a double bottom - is this the start of a short bear rally? I can't see the Dow tanking again before the new year but maybe I am feeling the Christmas spirit to early.....
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Too right Wizard. LOL! Ninja, I reckon it all hinges on the USD Index. It has had a massive bull run since middle July 08 (71.7) all the way to 28 Oct 08 (88.4). At that point it started going sideways in a range of 84 to 89. If Joe Russo's Elliot Wave analysis plays out then you are going to see the biggest bear run on the USD of all time. The very first chart I check every day is the USD Index at the moment as I believe that's where the lead signal is going to come from. The levels to watch are 83.75 (daily low on 30 Oct and range low), 80.39 (critical level and the daily high of 9/11) and 76.02 (daily low on 9/22). Finally 71.7 is the last support. After that the USD can well drop to the 40's. Note though that the USD Index is read over days and months (shorter time frames are not really useful) and while the monthly chart is way overbought, the daily chart is neutral RSI14 and almost oversold Stoch14. Short term (next 1 to 2 months) the USD will probably still move up to touch 90.02 but medium term within the next 6 months it's going to get the ***** slap of all time. And then, I reckon XAU is going to go through the roof (Note I say Gold and not neccessarily Gold shares). The question begs whether it will rally markets? The way the Yanks are printing money guarantees currency devaluation over time. The big question is against which currencies? I mean, the major crosses all have their own problems which don't exactly make a case for them appreciating viz a viz the USD? Anyway, I'm keeping it simple and sticking to the TA on the USD Index. It will tell us soon enough where it's going and until it resolves it's consolidation and confirms a direction I'm not taking a view
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Thanks Nova....very useful....will watch and wait.....
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Ninja? See Steve Barrows analysis in today's Economic Report under buy and sell ideas. He explains the setup much better than I can. The USD can go either way and whichever way it goes will likely determine whether markets go up or down. Until then I'm sitting tight
0 Kudos
Not applicable
All all that has happened is that we have come back to test support, we broke resistance and came back to test we have a good chance of moving higher ( FTSE )
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
GDP and Paulson news out....futures up...I'm calling a rally to the end of the week.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
gdp worse than expected how does that come into a rally situation?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my sentiment as well, gdp worse than expected it is going to sink in now now
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Asylum...very short term bounce - gdp down in line with expectations......dow futures back up from the red to 2% positive!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
euro is running away with the usd, so we can expect that the dow is going to jump tonight
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the figure to have watched in the GDP here was company earnings which was well above expectations, that's why we rallied ... omo
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
This 800 Bil. rescue package will make the DOW go nuts tonight!!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
dang! I missed out on that USD move, was on the road. If/when 85 drops on the USD Index then 84 in short order and we keep rallying
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
What do we call this.... Getting a speeding ticket for missing out on a trade! If u were going a bit faster you were going to pay a traffic fine of say R300, but u were not going to miss out on a trade worth 10 times as much!!! :)
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
:-) good one Wiz. I is a bit concerned, bit of a disconnect here we haven't seen for a while... USD Index drops but the US markets are stale, don't gain, are in fact a wee bit negative. Not a good sign. It is rather neccessary for the equity side of things to pick up when the USD loses ground or else the inverse correlation is out the window (assuming there's no scope for US exports) and its quite possible the butterfly effect will kick in and it won't be pretty.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Nothing has changed...You just can't have the perfect correlation at all times.
0 Kudos