Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Pay as you go internet

Maddog
Regular Contributor
I need some advice I am trading off of the works internet connection but would like to do research at home I am looking for a good pay as you go option. IE one of those USB modems and then you just pay per gig or so. Anyone out there know of any bargains or good products thanks
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Not applicable
Neotel has the cheapest mobile USB unit somethiung like R300 for 1.5 Gig. Vodacom R250 for 500mb, on contract offcourse. Or u could buy the unit for about R1500 and get prepaid for a fraction cheaper.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
alternatively, since you say you'll be at home you could just connect your mobile to your laptop/pc and use the internet when you want. Your cell acts as a modem.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Will that not get expensive as I will not know the cost until the end of the month when I get billed????
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Talk about expensive; I have a USB (contract) with Autopage using MTN, but with the poor usage monitoring of MTN every month's bill is a shocking surpise. On laptop I have a Vodacom USB with total visiability of my usage, so no month end surpises.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
rather go for an usb Iburst contract. Much more realiabe and cheaper than the rest...
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Why dont you look at the Blackberry option where you pay fixed amount monthly for data on your cell then use your cell as modem for your laptop get data at a fixed rate something like R67 pm i think
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I think everybody that has Autopage gets a a monthly shock. Never evr heard anything good about them always expensive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If your cellphone is compatible to link on the internet, you could always connect it to your laptop and use it as a modem. Buy data bundles and monitor your usage on a daily basis. What you could also look into is setting up adsl at your home. It works out quite cheap and the connection spead is also not that bad.
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
Whatever you choose just don't take a Contract - prices are dropping already, or suppliers starting to increase caps at the same price. I have ADSL through Web Africa. R70/GB prepaid + monthly ADSL rental etc.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Hi Jack, problem is really with MTN(in my case anyway). We are charged normal MTN rates. MTN/Autopage does not provide a means to accurately monitor your usage, so you overspend without knowing it. I am in a big fight with Autopage about this, since they are my service provider. Also reported the matter to ICASA, but us the consumer are most times being shafted; EINA!!
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Axxess prepaid ADSL. Buy it at P&P @ R69/Gig. Very fast on the international sites as they make use of undersea cable network.
0 Kudos
kokkie
Contributor
Have a look at axxess.co.za one of the best once you have ADSL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm on MTN cell contract. as they rip us off @ R2/meg, I've taken out the R10/10meg package onto my cell contract. even after 10megs has been use up, I still get charged R1/meg. not ideal, but cheaper than the R2/meg. (ps, as my cell is used as a modem, on a monthly basic i reset the log on my cell. this way i know my cell and internet useage)
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
I use a vodacome USB modem, i bought it cash for about R1600.00 a while ago. Monthly, i spend R189.00 for 500megs. only cr@p thing about it, is the megabites expire after 30 days..i think for about R100 more, u can get a Gig. no billing or contract problems! peace of mind all the way!
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
My advice: What-ever you do, don't go for any contract. I've burnt my fingers a few times.It is mostly just a rip-off and nothing else. If you can lay your hands on a 3.5G cell phone like the Nokia E51 or an E220 modem, pay as you go is the best lately. Depending on the MTN tower closest to you, the speed is superb (200k to more than 1.5Meg) and buying 500Meg or 1G data bundle gives data far below R1/meg. Best of all is you have total control on the expense side, no fixed payments. Disadvantage is that you must trim your usage to fit a data bundle per month.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
As we speak I'm also in the same boat. Busy quitting the job and want to become a daytrader. I use my MTN 3G account. I pay R769 pm for 350mb and a decent laptop thrown into the contract. When intensively trading and chatting on this forum I find that i use up to 15mb per hour. Thus the 350mb package wasn't enough. So on Friday I upped my package to 2GB at R1009pm (+ some surprise charges could end up R1100pm). The data costs out of bundle are R1.50 for the 350mb package and R1.20 for the 2GB package. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos