Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Perfect Hindsight .

barry_1
Super Contributor
The run in platinum shares has been phenominal over the last quarter,reminding me of earlier days where one had only to buy plats and hold not trading at all in other shares over a couple of years to make a fortune(which i did in the early nineties).Those were the days before computer trading which leads me at least to panic faster and sell when i should hold.i dunno if being so close to the market is an advantage as we are exposed to all kinds of influences these days!I drew up a watch list on the 16 DEC 2006 of platinum shares.On the 26 Mar 2007 the gains for basically were as follows:See reply to this blog!
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
barry_1
Super Contributor
AMS..37% UP;IMP..25%;LON..10%UP..now it must be remembered that these shares pay large dividned as well so their capital gains are not so high as the lesser plats.AQP..55%UP;BPL..97%UP;ELD..91%UP;JBL..31%UP;WEZ..86%UP.THE ONLY FAILURE NHM 3.65%UP DO R4MEMBER THESE GAIN ARE OVER A PERIOD OF ONLY THREE MONTHS!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
HI barry ...I have been punting and profiting from the plats for a while, like you I have not let them run. But I would like you to repost those figures, but this time call it... To the gold bulls losing money!!!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
True,although i've learnt from expenience that gold only does well during an initial upswing after a long bear market!now days their movements are furter muddied by the uranium thing ,so past patterns are a-changing.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
True that! I still believe that no matter how positive the gold story Plats will outperform.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
john-boy I hate to say this, but I think it may be time to look at gold.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya brazen, look is about right - then walk away again. Gold in US$ may move higher - but how do you profit from that move?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
It is, I am quite sure.. thats why I am sniffing about the Plat shares despite there form. GFI is defnitly the pic of the bunch I dont like Harmoney
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL! a man with gold reflective lenses.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ok you two Mr Snippies. We'll talk later.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And Brazen's pick is TA DA - GFI.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well best of luck with your gfi, and maybe on eday when you feeling very brave, overlay gfi against one of the above plat stocks. but bring tissues.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Well at least you picked the right gold share, haha! You are right there is money to be made right now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What about IMP's current run? Stochiastics giving sell, RSI overbought. Engulfing black given on candle chart on closing yesterday.Good chance to go short? (Especially given yesterday's news).
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Anybody herd of this, "Bushveld Fund" held in Switzerland.....check out performance & info etc @ http://www.fidfund.com/webfunds/documents/BAC/FactsheetBAC_0207.pdf & http://www.bacfund.ch/download/2nd_BAC_PD.pdf
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
You are amazing where do you find this stuff. I must say this is very interesting I think I will be buying a few WEZ for the kids
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Elementary my dear John!......Research......it helps when you are first in line to the throne.......nah, instead of taking a paper to read in the longdrop I take my laptop.....directors meetings with Tom Tuird are so SO boring! Adios.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Research! I have to say thats the last place I would be sitting around waiting for the dial up.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
as for me, got into AMS (AMSSBE) just after the first dip end Feb, and made a tidy profit of 20%. Problem is, the jitters in the market made me jittery too, so kept exiting when I should have held until target! then playing catch up. would have done close to 90% (as at day or two ago, today softer again) if I had taken profit at my original target price). Moral of the story is, stick with your strategy, dont be fooled (again and again) into "panicked" buying or selling. i agree that Platinum is still in a very healthy bull cycle, just take a look at simon's beloved primary trend indicator (30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 60 MAs )...
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Hi John.Ce and I have some Wez very cheap for your kids starting bid 2500. Glad i read the article posted by YNWA. Thanks again John almost sold them. As they say research, reasearh research.
0 Kudos