Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Platinum

Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Probably a silly question but I was wondering if as I heard a few weeks ago there is only 6 weeks (months?) of platinum supply available to the market, then if that runs out because of strikes , and the world needs supply, would it be able to draw on and use the etfs that have it under lock and key(Hopefully). Does anyone have figures for what is left in the supply line and stocks.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
think that was what the local mines that have strikes have above ground (6 weeks) .. they always stock pile a bit in case of long strike .. if they run out there are there other sources for now; s*****, recycle, other mines, stock piles etc. The world will hit a shortage eventually, likely only 2015 at best I thinks
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Thanx muchly Simon.Do u know if a worldwide shortage would cause the etfs etc to release their stockpiles or are they locked up and like unobtainablite?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ETFs can not release their holdings, unless people sell and then they redeem units and sell plat .. for the record I hold NGLT for long term
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
Local mine stockpiles are probably running low by now, but you also have stocks within the refiners. Canada and Russia both still supplying, as are many SA mines where NUM is the majority. LME has some stocks, as do the benefactors. So a while to go before ETFs stocks needed.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
And interestingly AMS +30% last 3 months!
0 Kudos