Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Please advise on currency future confusion

Not applicable
Am I right to say that buying a $/R contract and buying a R/$ contract means exactly the opposite results. If that is correct then look at the TRADE page of FIND OR TRADE CF where under LOOKUP OPTIONS it is stated $/R Jun-10 but under TRADE ENTRY it states 14Jun10 ZAUS which is the opposite. So (1) what are you trading here ? (2)If you buy a $/R contact are you long $ and short R ? Thanks .
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you are trading the opposite currency .. so if you BUY the $ contract you're long $ and expect Rand weakness against $ .. an inverse, so if you sell the you are short $ and expecting Rand strength against $ ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You are trading the opposite currency ? Which one is the opposite on $/R and ZAUS ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
EkisDoep
Frequent Contributor
$/R had a nice run the previous two days but seems to be hovering a bit today!
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
Yesterday was the first time it broke through the R8.00 level since it briefly did the same on the 2nd of November last year...
0 Kudos
EkisDoep
Frequent Contributor
Yesterday's plunge was good to me. I made up what I have lost so far this year plus a tiny bit more. Sold my June contracts this morning. Now have a few Sept running. Seems like there is a little movement this afternoon.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, re. your trading the opposite currency ie the R ,what do you trade if it is $/euro and euro/$
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not necessary, just need a simple answer to a simple question
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Picky , thanks for ref. Great site
0 Kudos