Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Please assist

Not applicable
Hi all, any advice on how i can start rolling. I just joined and I am nervous to start...Please help
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
AJT
Super Contributor
If by rolling, you mean trading, then i would suggest going to some of the courses offered by OST, especially the one presented by Simon Brown, "Trade to trade Well" - most of your questions will be answered during these sessions...
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
If you mean any other rolling then you on the wrong forum, lol, AJT has given u the best advice get all those courses under your belt and then do them again. Good luck
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Really bad time to start rolling. Rather just learn all you can for the time being, before testing the water. This market is range bound and direction less for the last couple of months.
0 Kudos
Waddell
Occasional Contributor
Start with a demo account, there are a few out there on the internet.
0 Kudos
kylen
Occasional Contributor
Hi, If you trade shares in the top40 you should be fine. Set up a position in AGL, before 30 July (results). Trading in a range R265 - R300, don't buy at current levels, put in a order for R270.00, good chance of getting a nice dividend when the results are released.
0 Kudos
Man_T
Contributor
Do you get dividendts if you are holding SSF or CFD position?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no for ssf .. yes for cfd ..
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
ssf: but there is a dividend adjustment to your cost, right?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, but you don't receive it .. or pay it if short ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Lesson 1: The market doesn't care about your beliefs or what you're thinking! Lesson 2: Only use cash that you can afford to lose. If you need the money to feed your kids, don't put it in the market. Further lessons comes with a small fee ;-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Welcome Supermom. Don't be scared. You have to learn. It's nice and interesting. The current market is broken so as stated previously, do all the free courses - TWICE, BECAUSE IT'S NICE. If you don't understand something do research and more research. Sounds like a boring process, but if you are really interested go for it. Don't listen to people scaring you. It is not scary. It is exciting and here is the crunch part - even when you lose money. The secret is, if you are going to trade, do it with very small chunks and you will be fine.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Be Careful of your terminology { rolling } i once got banned for using the phrase tea bag in the wrong context
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Never Start on a Friday are you using your money or your husbands if its your husbands does he know what you doing If it was my wife I would be afraid very afraid
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
apparently women make good investord. ask Simon.
0 Kudos
Torres
Contributor
If you do the courses, preferably those offered by Standard Bank,you will have a good start. Research (facts, figures, trends) a couple of shares (in the top 40) and believe in yourself. Don't be too greedy and don't be afraid to get out of a share when you have made a wrong decision! Good luck! PS: beta tell your hubby that heand the kids will be eating takeouts for a while!
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
suki only if they use their own money Woman are brilliant at handling their own money not their husbands for some reason they think that when they spend the the husbands money they have to reach sa monthly target when its their money its suddenly managing a budget
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
suki only if they use their own money Woman are brilliant at handling their own money not their husbands for some reason they think that when they spend the the husbands money they have to reach a monthly target when its their money its suddenly managing a budget
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks guys, really appreciate. Im attending a course on Saturdayion "Introduction to investing" is it a good course/
0 Kudos