Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Please help with sound advice.

sk_1
Super Contributor
SK, I suggest you sit tight but don't be tempted to bottom feed at this point, don't catch a falling knife. You are in for the long haul, you are young and have time on you hands OMO!... oh, dont know if you noticed, Werner has updated the stockpicker competition and you are in position no 3. Well done!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, like John said, the leaders always stay the leaders, you must have some good shares selected there...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Sk, keep in mind that as a long term investor it's time in the market that matters NOT timing the market(leave that to the speculators). Buy quality shares and allow compounding to do its magic over time. BUT be prepared to be patient..... very patient.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wait wait boet do u know the meaning of longterm
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
If the buy signal that you received was based on an expected short term rally, as opposed to AGL being a sound long term investment, then your acting on the advice stands in direct contrast to your claim that you are more of a long term investor. As a long term investor the dip shouldn't bother you, IMO, unless the fundamentals and long term prospect of the company have changed. Have they? If you are going to act on advice for short term moves in the market, then you specifically need to gear your investment strategy to that way of trading. In that case the aim is to have more and larger winning trades and fewer and smaller losing trades over a period, i.e. speculate. You can do both, but not on a single trade. I think we all know what it feels like to have bought in on a peak, though. Rest assured that there will be many more such occasions.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
A man(or woman) who knows what he/she is talking about.
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Hmmmm, who is really in here for the long term!!!!! trading on the stock market is for speculators.....lets face it who knows where we are going if you have the stomach for long term you either bolschy or stupid....
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
Personally I have a very good track record investing for the longer haul. ie I bought Agl on the 3rd February 1999 at 4945 and sold on the 29th October 2007 at 44000. Stupid? Maybe not. I run a number of portfolios, from the long term to short term and my long term portfolio has outperformed the short term one by miles.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Please elaborate Maggie. I'm certainly not an extreme radical. Why do you think we are stupid?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LG ask Maggie how her WEZ trade is working for her.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Had AGL in my watchlist for a buy between 400 and 410 which I see is coming up. Starting to wonder if theres more downside coming. Next supprt is a long way down.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Your kids have an astute mentor.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
HDK. So you must have at leat 10mil in your bank account by now?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Let's not embarrass her. She's doing a good job on her own.
0 Kudos