Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Please help!

BusyBee
Contributor
Please tell me what's happening ... every share on the portfolio is going south ... did I just choose all the wrong shares or is there more to this??? I initially bought a portfolio of shares sometime in August, for R7000, not realising the brokerage fees kill you (only found out later) ... I was too hasty! About a month later the loss reduced quite a bit and I was excited ... assuming that profits will start soon ... now the loss is just going up again. Is it because of ANC, interest rate hike (the previous hike didn't affect it this much though) or is there another issue? Please advise. Advice on turning this situation around will be much appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Not applicable
I will tell you what do do in about half an hour...
0 Kudos
Taurus
Super Contributor
If you are talking about R7000,00 then just forget about it..thats pennys..if it R70000,00 sell..hehehe..or you should have sold.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
The main driver has been sub-prime issues which have created a globall credit crises and companies are writing off bad debts at a hairy rate. USA may be threatening a recession and international investors seem to be taking money out of risky economies aka SA.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
10 min to go and we all glued to our screen for the answer. Will it be Bear or will it Bull...? Stay tuned the answer will be right after this..
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
Thank you saash, that makes a lot of sense! Guess I will just have to hold thumbs and hope for a turn around! Subsequently, invested another R4000. So R11k altogether...Taurus, the R11k was hard earned ... will be sad to see this go so easily. I just hope that a year from now this investment will be well worth it. Chartist ... have to go now ... can hardly wait to read your advice... will check tomorrow. kind regards to all forumites and all the best!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Can we have a drum-roll..... suspense is killing me.
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
Just couldn't walk out the door ... 3 minutes to go!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Estimated time until this valuable answer -10 min! Don't despair we have gone into a period of extra time!!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
right after this ..... very expensive .... commercial break.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was gonna tell you to sell everything you got and go short...anyway too late now... just joking
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Are u telling me u didn't watch it??? Don't let me catch u sleeping again! Anyway the all awaited answer is below
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Investing has never been easier.If your portfolio is red..Short it!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
move one and 2 complete.....move 3 should drag us out of the k@k for a while anyway
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
What shares do you hold,nttg?
0 Kudos
jamoo
Frequent Contributor
HEY! MOST PROBABLY YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG SHARES OR YOU BOUGHT AT THE WRONG TIME. THERE IS ALWAYS MONEY TO BE MADE IN THIS BUSINESS. EDUCATE YOURSELF.
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
Will do, jamoo. I need to stop being so hasty ... will just hold what I have ... really need to learn more about trading before I relook at the situation. Some shares on my portfolio: S&B,GRF,GND,HAR,ABK,1time,ESR,IWE,PKH,MRF.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dudesky, what Rand value does each share make up? cause if all those shares together make up your 11k you're pretty much stuffed. but we've all paid school fees somewhere along the line and you can be glad yours was cheap. If I were in your shoes there would be no point selling any of the shares as the brokerage will be like 10% loss per share. so for the next few month paper trade until you've got at least 8k to add to a share to make it viable and hopefully by then you've got a feel for the market.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I am of the opinion that your portfolio is too diversified for your capital value. Cut your biggest losses and consolidate into the shares you decide to keep. Are you holding the shares directly or in geared instruments?
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
directly. so if i were to go with your advice, ideally i would sell itime and afbrick (going backwards ever since purchased)?
0 Kudos