Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Plunge protection team.

john_1
Super Contributor
What are the chances of negative jobs data today...
0 Kudos
62 REPLIES 62
Brazen
Super Contributor
What you thinking john-boy? We closed a few postions - IMP yesterday and WHL this morning. Looking for trades - but nothings leaping out.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John....50/50 .what does it matter? There is no way of telling absolutely none....just use the 123 move.....
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Good i would think. Last time out they expected 100 000 the got - 4000 so their gurus got forecast slightly wrong. This time round they expect between 90-100 thousand just hope its not the same guru who's forecasting.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip 50/50. We can't predict the data, we can just respond to it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
that would be bad for equities.....cause it diminishes the chances or further rate cuts....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think that with the market just below 14000 on the DOW negative news would see some real selling presure, I think been cautious is the way to play this.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's not one guru, it's consensus so all the guru's.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Yeah Chartist if memory serves me right the last figures brought the Dow down about 1.5 % on the day, i stand to be corrected on this.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the issue with today's data (especially the unemployment rate) is that if it is bad many would start to worry more about a possible US recession, bad for markets. But if good or even just alright numbers then expect serious buying.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
local time would be 14h30....do I have this right?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What time is it released SA time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
that is SA time....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya 2.30, US changes times end of oct (some where around then)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
about the same time the poolboy will be mixing the cocktails on a Friday...ah well the 123 move doesnt need much work just determine the direction and leave it....
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Market looking for an excuse to take profit, both in SA and aboard. Even a good employment No can trigger a sell off as this will mean the Fed will not drop interest rates so fast(in the US).
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Short term the market might rally but I dont see a positive in this story... If the jobs are bad, market tanks, if jobs are good, no Fed cut market tanks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I disagree with both of you gentlemen....but then again I could be wrong...
0 Kudos