Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Poll: If you could trade and make a huge profit for yourself...

Werner_1
Super Contributor
but risk the chance of adding to a bit instability to the global financial system, would you do it? (remember, the profits for you are really huge, millions.) Y/N
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
Not applicable
I'm already instable...I am looking for stability ;-)
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
are you starting to feel guilty about your JPM exposure Werner?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm in - YES. Markets are always unstable. So if its not me, then it will be some other lucky sod...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
haha. no, i love the company and will hold the shares for very long into the future still (and acquire more). I think there isnt a CEO in the world that is better than Jamie Dimon - he is an awesome guy -and the other guys like Jes Staley (CEO Investment Bank), are also really good! - also not traders like many of the other Wall Street banks but much more conservative businessmen! Did you guys know that 78% of Goldman's earnings comes from trading, whereas JPMC isnt even close to this, JPMC has a very diverse business ranging from Retail Banking, Card Division, Investment Banking, Asset Management, Security Services, Private Banking, etc - Definately much more stable and solid.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
i think u need to define global financial instability a little bit better Werner.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
YES count me in ... if I could shut down an investment bank or two that will be the cherry on top!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well we all know what the collective efforts of many traders did on the world, CDS misused to cause instability in the mortgage market, other CDOs and many other derivatives were all created by traders to get a very good deal because there was a market to buy these things.. that all made the global market unstable, thats what i am talking about... i would easily have profited off these types of instruments if i were these guys, i dont know who wouldnt, only people not interested in money?
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
so you're saying you're willing to profit by creating a bubble which when burst will probably put the world into a 10 - 15 year bear market? oh hell yeah, count me in! of course most value investors would be up the proverbial creek but they could buy the dips.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes, well Mr Blankfein stated that they doing God's work, so I guess there is nothing wrong with what they do, right ? These guys are all financial soul!!! Taking tax payer money and handing themself bonusses - that's classic. I'm glad these companies do not do too much of God's work in this country. Let the US citizen eat cake !!!
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
PS. *tongue firmly in cheek* ~ my final answer would be a no.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Naah,. it's all an illusion, so actually then, there is no point,. From outer space this place is becoming more like a serf prison every day,. ooooh,. like never ending debt driven inflation, sounds like a real gas,..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I am just saying that each trader had a small part in the whole mess, but who would not take the profits if they were in that position? i guess everyone would do it... as a value investor I dont like the huge crashes but my strategy made it possible for me to benefit (in quite a big way) from the drop, not by shorting but by allocating cash to excellent businesses at the bottom of the market. I am just saying that everyone makes (even the good banks) bad nowdays but if they were in those positions they all would have done the same. it was a collective effort of market makers, buyers, sellers (e.g. everyone) that caused what we have now. not only some traders - i mainly mean guys like John Paulson, etc...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
you know, acquiring or shutting down the competition does wonders for your bottom line... you will see, i know there are many guys that think I am an idiot because i really like JPMC but i promise you that they will be printing money for long time in the future, dividends will be reinstated shortly (just waiting for more clarity on financial reform and employment numbers- direct comments from Jamie - then the cheap entry one could have gotten last year would prove very beneficial together with the solid business operations - they are very solid even if not many people want to believe that!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I would do it for sure. Then I would share a bit with a few poor people. Give them a Woolies voucher or something.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos