Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Price action

Rams
Super Contributor
yes, you got your entry and your exit and thats all there is to it...so simple. Whatever happens to this trade, you will do the same when you see this setup again...thats all there is to it...so simple
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
high probabality is a myth, what's high ?? 55% win ratio, maybe 60% .. 60% win ratio is a myth on its own ..
an to really bang it in .. drawing lines on a charts or using patterns etc. is largely a myth coz they give no measurability as they rely almost excslusively on bias ..
trade the price coz it is the only truth .. hence my answer way up top here ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
...so your own lazy trading system is based on a myth ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, read what I said .. my systems (all of them) are based either on pure price or MA's and price .. no bias as no lines/patterns etc .. big difference ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Momentum, MACD, RSI are also indicators, just like MA's and it's derived from pure price (no bias there). Patterns are biased, I agree.
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
Nope...that's not true. Your system is based on time. Correct me if i am wrong but your system relies the closing price at a certain time of the day. So there is a bias and it's time. It's all the same if u ask me. But to each his own.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
where is Threshold...lets start this whole time and price thing again!
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
there are three types of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics Benjamin Disraeli
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
raps - not sure I agree but if time is my worse bias .. I winning ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
then again, does three MA's crossing each other not constitute a pattern ?
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
no one can argue with that!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
only two, third is trigger .. but yes it may, however like a MACD or RSI or other indicator it is measureable and repeatable .. lines or patterns on a chart are not ..
what I mean by that is that if 3 people all add a 21 SMA to an EOD of Top40, we all get same answer for the 21 SMA value (sure we may respond different) .. But if we all draw a support line we'll get three different answers .. now one could argue that drawing lines well is your edge, I would suggest it is ones bias not ones edge ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
It's always TIME - only TIME. The market offers only PRICE! YOU bring TIME to the party! (I'm off licking my chops - 250 000 NTC/ 50 000 AIP / 20 000 GFI / 5 000 HAR / 50 000 NPK. Banking some already. "Trading" my preferred stocks - badly as always - but very profitably.)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
more importantly, MACD, RSI, and all the other useless junk out there are mathematical equations, therefore they can be computerized and backtested. (and I challenge anyone to come up with any significant correlation - there is absolutely no evidence to suggest this). Chart patterns, on the other hand, cannot be computer tested, so very difficult to back test. And Simon, markets are biased to the long side, pure and simple. What indicators do, and what traders repeatedly fail to realize, is that they give you an ability to act under the same measurable circumstances every time, thereby introducing consistency. This is how you reduce drawdowns and remove emotions. you act under the same measurable circumstances every time, consistently.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Long-term - patterns do seem to hold true - and it makes sense that they should. Short-term patterns are a cra-pshoot. Buying a recovery off a 5 year consolidation pattern -well - that makes sense. This "head-and-shoulders" / "rising wedge" / "fabulous octahedron" nonsense every 30 days - pleeeez. They keep the stoploss merchants in business. (And XYZ Traders/market/shareholder's College in the money.)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
skaap, agreed .. but hence my problem with patterns, they're not measurable because where do you draw and what do you see ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
patterns enter into the discretionary realm, and the problem with discretionary trading is that it let's emotions dictate to a certain extent. But, like always, if you can write down your entry and your exit - with a justification, and you only act on what you have written down, then you are in the clear, IMO
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, problem is still that a SMA cross over is absolute, no judgement .. a trend line break is totally a judgement call ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
What is wrong with sound judgement when it is based on experience?? The shorter your trading period the less emotion you want, hence a mechanical trading system that takes all emotion out of any decision when day trading. If you intent to keep a share for a few months, you can allow for emotion based on sound judgement and experience. Look at the GFI trade. That is a high probability trade no matter how you look at it. The technical and fundaments are all there – all I need to do is add time (a few months). The target and stop loss price is set, now we add a bit of time, and that is it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I am not a believer that as human beings we have "sound judgement" so yes a mechanical system be it .. but you can not do mechanical using lines and patterns .. that is my point and hence why all my systems have zero lines or patterns ..
0 Kudos