Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Price action

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Okay let s make it more your language.....buy a share in 1998.... You want to trade time....so you will exit in 10 years.....now 2008 and it's time to exit but hey the PRICE has not moved.....but if you decided to exit at a certain price then you be smiling now! Same as your investment in GFI .....you reached a PRICE target and the investment turned into a profitable trade....time was not relevant. Anyway, we agree to disagree without hurling any insults........
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
No insults - you were - and continue to speak nonsense. You are a trader - you use TIME to your advantage. Do yourself the favour of not arguing The Ridiculous.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
As a tader - you could have made a million times your money on GFI - by timing your trades - although - over time, the share went nowhere. So GFI - for INVESTOR - BAD! For trader - GOOD!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Now are you beginning to understand why they contend that "for traders it's about 'TIMING' the market and investors 'TIME-IN' the market?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Now you sound like fusion 5378...... But in TIME you will understand the uselessness of trading ( or investing) in TIME! try the Holy Grail of trading for just one month...intraday trading the ALSI futures and PRICE will dawn on you!
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
I think both of your'll r right. Timing is important - for instance if you a know a stock is going to appreciate by 5% over 10 years - forget about it. Too long a time frame. Time is ruling denominator in the this instance. Price is also important for obvious reasons - it determines when we buy and sell. There so your'll are both right - now play nice.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You are the only man that can turn a profit in no time. WOW!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
YES there we go - INTRADAY TRADING - another TIM- based concept. Are you really struggling so with this?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
I also trade intraday using price action and time does play a factor in my humble opinion, but first i look at price action ( candle sticks) secondly i look at each hourly and 4 hour closes (time) if price does not close above or below a certain pre determined price (SUpport /resistance) on an hourly or 4 hourly close, then i sit on my hands, so in my intraday trading method time does matter, but more importantly price action is my primary focus.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And today has been very much a sit on hands day
0 Kudos
kicc
Frequent Contributor
forget a book - watch roffeys review and then do the opposite - the best seller or best advise for anyone - try it and let us know
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, price is my primary focus also....
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
You are only confirming what I said above. You are trading based on a particular pattern that has nothing to do with price, you are waiting to TIME the market. When that candle appears..Bingo ....You're in, irrespective if it was trading at a price of 2 or 5% above or below yesterday's close.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
But that candle will only appear when a certain PRICE goes through the market...I agree , the same price may not be your price in a different time frame....so choosing a timeframe has got nothing to do with timing the market....once a time frame is chosen, trading does not happen until a certain price is reached and traded
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
See doomsdayza above...
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
nobody has really mentioned the "art" of scalping which for me goes hand in hand with price action. it is a viable day trading strategy once you get the hang of it and the points can quickly add up.

it also has it's cons in that it's tiring watching the screen all day chasing nickels and dimes in front of the steamroller.

for me this is the simplest example of using price action.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
this of course is referring to ALSI day trading where brokerage in and out can be covered in 3 points.
0 Kudos