Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Profit and Loss Line Item requested to be added to 'My Portfolio'

GQ
Occasional Contributor
I purchased DTP @ 88c. I then sold 50% of my stock @ 280c after the 25% trailing stop loss triggered. At the time I made a 218.2% Gain, the proceeds of which merely dumped in my money market balance. I rebought the same number of shares that were sold at 260c. This means that the profit realised has been lumped back into the unit costs for that stock, which now reflects a dramatic reduction in the profit on that share, which is now only 47%. Although overall, I hold the same stock which i initially bought at 88c. It also has dramatically reduced the overall (diff %) on my portfolio from 14% to 8%. What I think may be helpful, is for OST to provide a line item on the my portfolio screen, that relates to profits & losses on executed sales. Once a stock is sold, the proceeds are just lumped into your money market balance. If your intention is to re-invest any profits back into future trades, it becomes difficult to apportion out exactly what portion of your moneymarket balance relates to profits/losses realised. Any thoughts would be welcome. Simon?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Chubby
Occasional Contributor
Nice one....this would sure make one's trading a lot easier and more meaningful!! Motion seconded!!
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Try and sit back and think carefully about your request! Completely impossible to do. Cash in your account you can apply as you wish so how on earth will OST be able to track what portion you re-invested and the capital vs. profit split for it, how much you invested into another share, whether you invested your remaining capital first or profit first or proportionately. Rather track your total position month on month.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What If trades in a share were reflected seperatly, so the first bunch would still have a profit of x and the new batch bought at 260 would reflect a diffrent story.. very very useful.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
GQ, no can do. John, sure - but why? The reality is your avergae price is what you ahve paid?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And why don't we ever get free stuff. Gifts and things.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, what liek a blue OST peak cap, or maybe a branded pen?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
me! me! me! oh what about a stop loss system that works?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dammm, and here I thort the pens would win the day. They really really nice pens ???
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Well you know where you can puy them...
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
How about a nice T-shirt with a snappy slogan. Something like - 'Standard Bank - we scr*w you any way we can - GET USED TO IT!' Ok, really moving on now.
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Mrs B.... your input to this forum is GREAT. I often just look for posts where you have replied, simply to add some humour to my day. Thanks.. don't ever stop.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And a T-shirt for Plonky too please ;)
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
My post which contained reference to scr*wing got scr*w*d by Simon two weeks ago - some inconsistency in this forum - so please pass him a T-shirt too.
0 Kudos
Pleiades
Frequent Contributor
I asked the bank for a pen but it was chained to the desk
0 Kudos
GQ
Occasional Contributor
Simon, I understand the averaging of your unit cost has to be done on the actual purchase prices, irrespective of whether the same stock was entered into with profits/losses from that stock. But I think, the request for a line item that reflects P/L on executed trades is a noteworthy request. If I hold a substantial amount of cash on hand which is earning interest and dividends on shares held, it would be nice to be able to refer to that line item (P+L)to ascertain just how much of that cash is profit/loss from executed trades. Kind of like a running total on your performance. I understand this can be extracted from the monthly OST reports, however they are only published at month end, and it requires a calculator and some spare time. Not to mention they are often released more than 5 days after the month end. which doesnt make for easy reference when you see a buying opportunity.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's all context, Chatty. If you use 'bank' and 'scr*wed' in a sentence, nobody is offended. Or surprised.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
GQ, wot you basically want is for us to check a record of you cash deposit(s) and record the growth?
0 Kudos