Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Property Prices

Not applicable
In FM mag last week they showed property growth for the past 1, 3 & 5 years in JHB, PTA, DBN & CPT. Just out of curiousity I took the winning sector in JHB (i.e. house with the biggest growth - JHB R1.5m to R3mil in the Orchards) to work out the annual growth.
The annual capital growth was 6.2% a year (from -> 35.1% in 5 years), if I include a rental income of 6% of the house price (take this figure as the after tax rental income) - the total compounded annual return works out to be 11.3% (assuming all rent was paid and no maintenance fees were paid).

For me looking at all the risk in property for the best of the best 11.3%??? I'd rather take some equites (especially when I look at my Capitec profits.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Item in the weekend financial section: Since the end of WWII, SA property has yielded .5% pa in adjusted real terms (before maintenance & repairs and associated costs) This also excludes the obscene costs associated with buying and selling. Clearly the "all-in real rate of return must be negative.)Over the same period, the JSE has given a real return of 8,5% pa (including dividends.) The piece was non-specific - I assume the return was compounded in simple pa terms or the figures would be fairly useless.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Property was 1.5% (not .5%) The rest of the figures are all presented on an "if memory serves" basis - this piece is from a few weeks ago. You can, I am sure, dig it up in the online edition if you have the energy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yay ! we haven't had a property vs equities debate for ages. But I will add fuel. Average property growth vs benchmark index growth is a useless measure - unless you are buying bulk lots. Property is always going to be about the merits of the unit in question (just like a good share). At least what average property growth increases tells you, is that the market is moving up, which means that a buy low sell high plan will be supported.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I have done well out of commercial and industrial property, (owning them outright and not through listed companies) but a house just like a car is a necessary evil.However for the undiscipled owning a home is in one way a forced method of saving.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Of course, you must follow - the old "3 rules of property - location, location, location" - otherwise all bets are off. Just to correct an error in logic - the same applies to shares - the quoted performance relates to the index as a whole - many shares performed poorly - and still more - failed altogether.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Yes- I know we have had this argument before - PH. To set the record straight - while I tend to "bash" property as an asset class - it has been very good to me over the years - but I have bought what I deemed to be desirable growth locations - usually completely untenanted/able. Most property buyers do not have access to this market. A house is a necessary E-V-I-L (All CAPS.) Renting is an option for many - but they blindly follow the "don't make the landlord rich" advice - and make "the bank" even richer as a result. For me the stock market has made a mockery of property performance though.
0 Kudos
Charles23
Contributor
I am a student and have recently bought a flat with the plan to resell and buy again continuously. I did this because I have been told my whole life that property is the safest investment tool! After reading the above mentioned articles I have my doubts. What do you guys think. Should I sell this flat and try the cash on the index or keep it in property?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My advice is with property: When you are the tenant property is ok, you need somewhere to live and there's no point paying someone else's rent. Its a good idea to own 1 property, but after that (IMO) I'd put my money into the share market.
0 Kudos
Jughead
Contributor
What makes property investment attractive to the ordinary guy is that it is highly geared. This creates the illusion that it is a good investment even when the cost is very high. The risk in this country is also substantial
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Another bonus about property is that it is possibly the only investment that you can go to a bank and get a loan for a million bucks or whatever the price may be, and still get someone else to pay off a portion, or the whole bond amount. I cant go to a bank and ask for a loan to trade shares. Having said that it still isnt enough of a carrot to make me buy property as an investment-what with the annual cost, tenents who may not want to pay on time, rental income that is taxable etc etc. I bought my house as a lifestyle investment as much as anything. I was sick and tired of renting dingy places where I couldnt make the changes I wanted. I did however shop around a bit and was able to buy property that I was able to pay off in under 6 years.
0 Kudos